VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Disability Claim For Bipolar Disorder - Any Help Would Be Appreciated!

Rate this question

kkarlson

Question

Hi everyone,

I have been reading through several posts from people with similar issues. I have a few specific questions that I would love to get feedback on, though I also know that each and every claim is unique and there is no such thing as time frames or standards associated with a VA Disability Claim. However, any advise or personal experience you can share would go a very long way!

Background on my story:

I was medically separated from the US Air Force after a little over three years, honorably, after being found to be Axis 1 bipolar 2, Axis 2 personality disorder, self-defeating traits, and ADHD by a medical review board at Lackland Air Force Base in 2007. My separation paperwork clearly states that my condition was found to be NOT EXISTING PRIOR TO SERVICE and/or PERMANENTLY AGGITATED BY MILITARY SERVICE. This, I know, is in my favor. I didn't file a claim right away because I was unsure of how to go about it, then later found out that it can be done online, so that is what I did. I opened my claim for bipolar 2/ADHD along with degenerative disk disease (also diagnosed during service,) back in June of 2011 with the Chicago, IL Regional Office. We are coming up on a full year now and I have supplied more than sufficient documentation (including medical records during service, medical records for current treatment, letters of support from family and friends etc.,) and the VA has had it on file now since my claim entered "Review of Evidence" status on October 24, 2011, yet I have had ZERO correspondance from the VA. I have called on several occassions inquiring on the status to no avail. I continue to receive notifications stating that "We continue to review your claim and it will be processed as quickly as possible. We apologize for the inconvenience." I understand that the VA is very far behind due to being under-staffed, and the explosion of claims coming in from soldiers returning home from overseas (God bless them all.) I am not complaining about how long it has taken to this point, but I would like to know if there is a light at the end of this tunnell. Anyone shared in a similar claim that has any insight as to where it will go from here would be fantastic (i.e. will I need to have a C&P Exam since I was diagnosed while in the military and it was found to be not existing prior to service? How much longer might this go? What kind of rating can I expect? etc.)

I believe I am at least 50% disabled due to this condition. I am writing this long post because I am going through yet another manic episode, shaking from the Adderall I have to take daily just to remain focused on my job and family. This condition has caused me to distance myself from those who care about me, contributed to several episodes of infidelity with my previous wife (obviously we divorced,) a loss of employment (working again, but was laid off due to work related issues,) extreme mood swings, sleep deprivation, mild memory loss, panic attacks, impussive spending, alcohol abuse, increase in narcasistic tendencies, eating disorders, drug abuse (not illicit drugs, but stimulants,) severe depression and self loathing, self-defeating traits etc. It has been terrible to deal with, needless to say. Not only for me, but for my family as well. I had a really rough experience while in the Air Force and I was both physically and verbally abused quite often, starting in basic training and all the way through my three + years. I began to lash out and fight back which made matters much worse. To this day, while I have fewer stressors, I continue to battle tendencies caused by this disease. I have documented all of these issues for the VA so that is all part of my claim.

If you have read my entire rant and haven't run for the hills yet, I applaud you and sincerely appreciate you hearing me out. Like I said earlier, if anyone has any first-hand knowledge as to what I can expect moving forward, it would be wonderful. Here are the questions I would like to get some "best guesses" on:

1. Considering the evidence I have mentioned above, what would be a "reasonable" rating percentage in your best opinion?

2. How much longer can I expect to wait to hear about a C&P Exam, or my claim entering the prep for decision phase (considering the thoroughness of my claim and assuming they have everything they need to make a decision, of course.)?

Once again, thank you in advance for any help you may be able to offer.

Best Regards.

Edited by kkarlson

• Answers 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

KK

I had a VA C&P doctor back in early 1980's try and get my disability (10%) reconsidered as a personality disorder. (He failed) I was pretty trusting. He asked a group of leading questions, and then he put a spin on my answers to point to sociopathic PD. I think, for example, he asked if I had ever gotten into a fight in school. I said "yes, I had but it was just a scuffle". I think he asked if I ever got angry with my parents. It was stuff like that. He twisted that around to try and point towards some deviant personality that I had before I enlisted. That is why I say when they start to ask about childhood, or homelife say everything was great even if it wasn't. A lot of people have hard lives. They are abused. Their parents may be alcoholic. They may even get arrested a few times. That does not mean they are permanent deviants from society. If you told a VA exam doctor that you had been kicked out of school once, smoked pot once and stole a piece of candy when you were 5 years old they could hang you on that....Anti-Social Personality Disorder that is of long standing with no insight and little chance of every being productive member of society". That DX would have fit half the guys in my Basic Training School since 90% were drafted off the streets of Chicago by a judge. I think most went on became heros in Vietnam. Just don't leave your watch near anyone of them.

John

kkarlson

Did they try Concerta? VA doesnt usually use it but they can get special approval to order it if your doctor demands it. Its my understanding that its less addictive and doesnt have the amphetamine/irritability affect.

As far as the personality disorder, I may not have been clear. What I was saying is if the VA doctor diagnosis an Axis I of bipolar disorder and and Axis II of a personality disorder and concludes that the Axis I disorder is due to the Axis II disorder, the VA can deny your claim for service connection. I have seen it happen.

As far as someone recommending that you not to tell the VA you have a personality disorder, I agree that providing evidence that doesnt help your case isnt in your best interest, but it is important to realize that if they do a VA MH exam (which is highly likely) and you truely have a personality disorder, the VA MH clinician will more than likely identify that you have one because unfortunately personality disorders are hard to hide.

You have presumption of soundness in your corner. If you havent already, try and look it up and read it.

• HadIt.com Elder

I share Donna's concerns about the role of personality disorder. Why were you not given a rating by the MEB board? Pyschological diagnoses can be very complex and as Donna pointed out the VA does not feel bound by the military and will make a separate determination. Several veterans have posted on hadit that they MEB'd out of the service under one diagnosis and then re diagnosed by a VA C&P examiner.

Keep us posted. I have assisted a number of veterans in unraveling disputed diagnoses for mental conditions. These veterans were service connected after years of conflicting diagnoses and several denials.

• HadIt.com Elder

PD's don't cause bipolar conditions. A shrink just cannot talk to a person and determine if they are a PD or not. It is really based on a long standing pattern of behavior. A person who always manages to end up in the gutter know matter what they attempt and not matter what help they get is probably a PD. The guy or gal who is a career criminal and endes their days in prison is a certain type of PD. It is their behavior and not their words that determine their DX. I really don't accept the idea of personality disorder as a means to kick people out of the military. It is just a cheap way to get rid of people.

Hoppy, Donna, and John999,

Thank you all for your input. I sincerly appreciate it! Great advise here. I'm not overly concerned about "saying the wrong thing" because I know for a fact that I have what I was diagnosed with, and even if the VA wants to try and manipulate my claim into something its not, I will continue to fight for what is right no matter how long it may take. I am confident in my ability to accurately relay the signs/symptoms/evidence of my condition to a VA examiner, regardless of if they happen to have a bad day the day that I eventually go in :)

I will heed all advise and will certainly take into consideration "who" exactly it is that I am dealing with when the time comes. Thanks for the support!

I share Donna's concerns about the role of personality disorder. Why were you not given a rating by the MEB board? Pyschological diagnoses can be very complex and as Donna pointed out the VA does not feel bound by the military and will make a separate determination. Several veterans have posted on hadit that they MEB'd out of the service under one diagnosis and then re diagnosed by a VA C&P examiner.

Keep us posted. I have assisted a number of veterans in unraveling disputed diagnoses for mental conditions. These veterans were service connected after years of conflicting diagnoses and several denials.

Hoppy,

To answer your question; I was given a rating by an MEB back in January of 2007. To be perfectly honest, it all happened so fast that I had no idea what it all meant at the time, no one took the time to explain what it all meant, nor did anyone give any advise as to what I needed to do or what I may be entitled to. When I was in Texas for the MEB, I was given 30% but then it subtracted 20% for an aggregrated total of 10%?? No idea what that meant, but it is in my medical review paperwork. The main point is that I was medically separated under honorable conditions as being axis 1 bipolar II with axis 2 as the personality disorder, having been found "Not existing prior to service" and "Permanently aggrevated by military service." Nothing was ever reported in my past prior to the military because there was honestly nothing wrong! To Donna's point, I can see how the VA examiner may try to pry a false diagnosis out of me by asking trigger questions and manipulating them to fit their maniacle agenda.