Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Request Advice On Mental Health Disorder Claim

Rate this question

georgiapapa

Question

I am thinking about filing a mental health disorder claim but I want to make sure my claim has a chance of success and also make sure I am not filing it prematurely.

Since October 2011 I have had a claim pending for AO Multiple Myeloma and peripheral neuropathy secondary to multiple myeloma. As a result of anxiety from my cancer diagnosis, I have also been going to a VA psychologist and a psychiatric NP since the summer of last year. I am currently on medication for anxiety.

After viewing some of the comments on hadit about anxiety and depression secondary to service connected disabilities, I decided to request copies of my VA mental health records to see if a claim may be justified.

Some of the comments in my records include the following:

"axis I - adjustment disorder with mixed anxiety and depressed mood (ICD-9-CM 309.28) primary."

"adjustment disorder with anxiety secondary to medical condition - multiple myeloma."

"sleep disorder."

"nightmares"

"status: fair, continues to struggle emotionally."

"anxious mood"

"withdrawn"

"anticipatory anxiety"

"hopeless and helplessness"

"labile"

"anxious, depressed"

"memory deficiencies"

My Axis V - GAF scores range from 45 to 58 with most in the mid 50s.

Last August I had back to back appointments on the same day with my psychologist and psychiatric NP. During these appointments, my psychologist gave me a GAF of 45 and the NP gave me a GAF of 58. This was my lowest and highest on the same date. I can't figure this out.

I believe the information I received justifies a mental health disorder claim but I would like input from others familiar with claims for mental health disorders.

QUESTION: Since I am in the middle of a claim for multiple myeloma, should I wait and make sure it is approved before filing a claim for the mental health disorder or should I make it part of my pending claim for multiple myeloma?

I really hate to do anything to delay the processing of my current claim but I would also prefer not to delay the effective date of my mental health disorder claim if it is approved.

Your input would be appreciated.

Thanks...Georgiapapa

• Answers 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

You say you have an anxiety disorder. PTSD is an anxiety disorder. You could file for it right now on its own merits with your combat ribbon. Read up on it a little bit. If your doctors say that your PN is a symptom of your myeloma then include it. It is not really secondary the way PN is secondary to DMII. Your PN is part of your myeloma as I understand it.

John

"Do you think I need to make any changes in my current claim or leave it like it is? I am still not clear on this."

If I were you I would as the oncologist to make a formal statement to the VA as to the PN being secondary to the myeloma..

We have a IMO criteria here in our IMO forum.

Hopefully they wont charge you for this, and if they do,hopefully it won't be too high a cost.

They just have to state they are familiar with your conditions and then make the Nexus statement that it is" as likely as not" ,or "more than likely " the myeloma has caused the neuropathy.

They could then give a brief medical rationale.

Medical rationales don't have to be too involved. They could state you have no other known etiology for the PN other then the myeloma, and then they could add a quote from a good solid medical reference text.

This link shows that the med bortezomib,used for myeloma, can cause the PN:

http://www.hopkinsguides.com/hopkins/ub/citation/19674790/Bortezomib_induced_peripheral_neuropathy_in_multiple_myeloma:_a_comparison_between_previously_treated_and_untreated_patients_

There are other sites such as Mayo etc but I havent found the exact one I had in mind, however your neuro or the oncologist would have a good treatise or link.

“At times I have problems concentrating and staying focused on what I am doing.” You are describing me too!

I think it is VA induced! The claims process can drive us all nuts.

I thought that BVA decision was familiar but then again I thought today was Tuesday.huh.png

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

Berta & John,

Thanks again for your input. I will start working on your suggestions tomorrow. I would start today but I am tired of being on this computer. Both of you have been a big help.

Georgiapapa...