Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Bipolar Worsened, Applying For Rating Increase

Rate this question

thurston511

Question

Hi, I appreciate all the good information shared here. I have a couple of questions that I hope are simple. I'm confused.

SC Bipolar Disorder 1999, rated 50%, after a re diagnosis from depression, 10% (VA's idea, I didn't ask) have been enrolled in VA health care system regularly since 2002, so there must be a huge medical file. (I've never seen it nor requested it.)

Been on different medications, but mainly lithium and wellbutrin for last 5 years. Ambien for sleeping.

Anyway, my condition has worsened since 2005, and even one of the psychiatrists I saw for quarterly med checks told me he used to be a C&P ratings examiner, and said he thought I was a 70% rating, but he never went further than that, or to suggest I go that route, or how to. (That was in 2011)

Perhaps it is a conflict with his position as a VA employed doctor, I don't know. That's all he said about it, and became evasive when I showed an interest in his comment.

Then they moved him one county over, so I don't know how to contact him, or if I should even contact him to ask for some kind of note in my file. Maybe he wrote something in there at the time, idk.

A cynic might say he said that looking for a reaction, but that would be pretty low.

I have not worked in 4 years time and have turned into a recluse. My employment record is pretty bad since 2002. My question is:

1. To apply for a rating increase, how do I begin? I just saw the post regarding the new form 21-5268. Thanks. I saved it.

-there is a VA medical clinic closeby, and the VAMC is 30 miles away. The front desk at the clinic isn't always that friendly. I assume the service officers are located at the VARO, 30miles away.

2. Is contacting that doctor something I should do? I think he is still connected to the same VAMC as this county, in a different clinic 100 miles away, but I never know how to contact VA doctors, they're busy every minute of the day.

3. Should I request my medical record and see what's in there? I don't want to, it's mostly psych stuff, and I'm ashamed of this problem. I don't know my GAF or Axis stuff.

How often does a former ratings doctor tell a veteran he was rated too low?. Now he's gone.

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

lot's of info, thx.

there was no determination, 1 year ago, during a med check, the psychiatrist who used to be a C&P examiner before he was a VA staff doctor, told me he saw my condition as under rated at 50% and said I was more like 70%.

But he backed off after I asked about what he just said, as it was an unexpected thing to hear. Since he wouldn't say anything more, I got immediately discouraged by his change in attitude, and didn't know what to do. So I just went back to routine of doing nothing. I've been rated 50% since 1999.

there is no private medical information.

ss sends everyone a yearly statement, whether one works or not. even after my last 8 month job in 2008, there were not enough work credits for ssdi

What is a DBQ and DBW form?

I don't have a relationship with the doc, as I realized I only get called in twice a year for a 15 min time slot. Then he renews the prescriptions..The current doctor is a nice guy, not very old. I'm not complaining, the care has been adequate over the years.

I wonder if my 1 yr of ch.31 benefits completed in 2007 would affect anything. the FL ch 31 rep told me I should never have been approved for that field of study, as it was mainly for law enforcement, and there are hardly any openings in that field. That was interesting to find out after the fact. I was approved and completed that study in new england. btw, I'm too old to become a cop.

lot's of info, thx.

there was no determination, 1 year ago, during a med check,

the psychiatrist who used to be a C&P examiner before he was a VA staff doctor, told me he saw my condition as under rated at 50% and said I was more like 70%.

But he backed off after I asked about what he just said, as it was an unexpected thing to hear. Since he wouldn't say anything more, I got immediately discouraged by his change in attitude, and didn't know what to do. So I just went back to routine of doing nothing. I've been rated 50% since 1999.

Medical providers only report medical opinions on symptomology and have no authority

to evaluate what a percentage level would be - that authority is only held by VBA decision makers.

there is no private medical information.

ss sends everyone a yearly statement, whether one works or not. even after my last 8 month job in 2008, there were not enough work credits for ssdi

What is a DBQ and DBW form?

DBQ is briefly explained on the form, here's a link for additional info on DBQ's for you.

http://benefits.va.gov/TRANSFORMATION/dbqs/FAQS.asp

I don't have a relationship with the doc, as I realized I only get called in twice a year for a 15 min time slot. Then he renews the prescriptions..The current doctor is a nice guy, not very old. I'm not complaining, the care has been adequate over the years.

Well - if this is your situation, I think you might have a rough go of getting a higher percentage unless

VA schedules a C&P exam and the examiner makes an opinion supported with medical rationale as to

what your current symptomology reveals and the effect your mental health has on Occupational and Social

functioning. Sounds like you virtually have no evidence to submit as you are doing much in the way

of receiving treatment/care/documentation of increased disability.

I wonder if my 1 yr of ch.31 benefits completed in 2007 would affect anything. the FL ch 31 rep told me I should never have been approved for that field of study, as it was mainly for law enforcement, and there are hardly any openings in that field. That was interesting to find out after the fact. I was approved and completed that study in new england. btw, I'm too old to become a cop.

VA disability benefits do not provide consideration for "there are hardly any openings" in the employment field.

JMHO - carlie

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.

*****Title 38: Pensions, Bonuses, and Veterans' Relief

PART 4—SCHEDULE FOR RATING DISABILITIES

Subpart B—Disability Ratings Mental Disorders

4.130 Schedule of ratings—mental disorders.

General Rating Formula for Mental Disorders:

Total occupational and social impairment, due to such symptoms as: gross impairment in thought processes or communication; persistent delusions or hallucinations; grossly inappropriate behavior; persistent danger of hurting self or others; intermittent inability to perform activities of daily living (including maintenance of minimal personal hygiene); disorientation to time or place; memory loss for names of close relatives,own occupation, or own name . . . 100

If that is the requirements to be at 100% I would be happy to just stay at my 70% rating for this.