Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Wondering If I Have A Claim Here

Rate this question

usmc89

Question

I injured my left foot in boot camp on the top of my foot. I thought I sprained it. It always hurt when running and doing forced marching. Went to Bn aid station (19 apr 1989) to report it. I told them I thought I twisted it, and they gave me Motrin and told me to drink more fluids (seriously?!) and rest. fast fwd to 14 jun 1989 at camp Geiger at Camp Lejeune. Had Numbness top of foot dx was possible neuralgia. now fast fwd to yesterday went to private neuro doc to see if i have ALS or MS. i do not, but found out i have nerve damage of my left foot and leg. can i claim this?

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

You can "claim" almost anything! Getting the claim through the system and VA to pay compensation is the difficult and time consuming part!

You identified the nexus, and the current problem. Next is to get a written medical opinion (VA care provider, VA C%P exam, and/or from a private physician (IMO) that relates the "nerve damage" to the nexus with the statement (preferably)

"more likely than not". It's usually better to have medical records and the opinion submitted with the claim, as it has a faint chance of speeding things up (slightly).

If your Dr. doesn't state that the leg and foot nerve injury is related to the April 89 or June 89 injuries that are documented in your service medical records than I don't see much chance of sucess in linking it to those events. I see you are rated 60%. Are any of those ratings related to a Back injury or Diabetes?

Best regards,

no. I have IBS 30% PTSD 30% low back srtain 10%. I am going to a Podietriset (Pvt foot Doc) next week and going to show him my service med records that i have. and let him know what the Nuro doc said about how i have nerve damage and see what he says. plus i have other stuff at the DRO just waitig for the SOC.

Edited by usmc89

no. I have IBD 30% PTSD 30% low back srtain 10%. I am going to a Podietriset (Pvt foot Doc) next week and going to show him my service med records that i have. and let him know what the Nuro doc said about how i have nerve damage and see what he says. plus i have other stuff at the DRO just waitig for the SOC.

Your doctor may link it to your lower back issue, depending on what your xrays/MRI/CT scans contain he/she might be able to demonstrate the relationship. VA has a nasty tendancy of not wanting to SC unless there is an EMG/Nerve Conduction test and nexus of how it relates to another SC condition. Since your problems are farther up the leg than just the foot, I would think it was related to the back injury. The rating schedule for back injuries specifically mentions to rate any associated nuerological conditions (as a general (unpublished) rule you have to fight for the association with a seperate diagnosis/tests).