Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Filed For Iu Hope I Get It

Rate this question

sparkle

Question

Carlie,i did as you said and found out what the ssid awarded me for and depression is one of them. i am

30% for depression and 10% for tbi, i did put in for iu and just waiting for c&p exam. it only took me 2 months and got ssd and back pay for one year, but i think that is as far as ssd will go in any state(not sure). i know you once said that the va hardly look at ssd evidences, but i got my ssd with the info i gave them from the va medical records and the dr.that ssd sent me to. so i was just wondering if that would be enough to get iu. this may be a little long but will tell you a few things that ssd and my doctor said and hope this will give me a better chance at getting iu(if i get lucky) and the va look at my ssd award.

1. Medical Opinion from my va psychiatrist: since nov. 2009 claimant has experienced persisting mental health sxs including anxiety, panic attacks, sleep disturbance, mood swings, withdrawal from others, depressed mood, low energy, and manic episode. she is dx with bipolar d/o and ptsd. exacerbation of sxs of ptsd have limited her ability to maintain gainful employment. prognosis for significant, change and improvement is probably poor. it is believed by the examiner that she cannot manage beneifits in her own best interest (my up & down of bipolar) at the present time because of her inability to make even simple change.

A. Conclusion: claimant had some difficulty following some instructions. her attention and concentration are reduced below normal. i do not believe she would be able actively perform repetitive tasks with any consistency. i believe she would have a lot of difficulty relating to people around her in a work setting and that she would not be able to tolerate the stress and pressures associated with day-to-day work activity.

2. Medical determinable impairments and severity by ssd

A. impairmenta diagnorders----------priority----------------------severity

The affective disorder primary severe

Anxiety disorder secondary severe

B. SSD MSE accepatable source Dr.Levitt: dx bipolar d/o, anxiety nos, ptsd, possible personality disorder. Throughout the interview she appeared very nervous, at times somewhat shaky, she was slightly tremulous at times. no other unsual mannerisms, posture and gait were fairly normal. she spoke in a low voice with a normal rate and rate. Prognosis for significant, change and improvement is probably poor.it believe by the exminer that she cannot manage benefits in her own best interest at the present time because of her inability to make even simple change. With all that being said, would it be a good ideal to take this txt to my c&p exam dr.? and should i mail a copy of this txt as more info for my iu claim or would that just push my claim back? Not sure how long it will take after my c&p but i can wait it out. Was told by my amvet rep. that i should hear something by aug of the year. All input is welcome.

P.S. NO I AM NOT AS CRAZY AS IT SOUNDS AND I DO JUST FINE WITH PAYING MY OWN BILLS, BUT DO HAVE A HARD TIME WHEN I GET MANIC AND GO SHOPPING. AM I THE ONLY LADY THE WILL SHOP TIL SHE DROPS OR MONEY RUN OUT? WHICH EVER COMES FIRST!!!!

*Sparkle

• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question

Carlie,i did as you said and found out what the ssid awarded me for and depression is one of them. i am

30% for depression and 10% for tbi, i did put in for iu and just waiting for c&p exam.

sparkle - did you complete, sign and submit a 21-8940 and get proof that this was done?

it only took me 2 months and got ssd and back pay for one year, but i think that is as far as ssd will go in any state(not sure).

When SSA claims are found to be fully favorable, benefits will be paid from either the date of the claim,

or the date the claimant was determined to be insurable for SSA purposes.

I believe payment does not kick in until the sixth or seventh month, those first months do not pay benefits.

i know you once said that the va hardly look at ssd evidences, but i got my ssd with the info i gave them from the va

medical records and the dr.that ssd sent me to.

so i was just wondering if that would be enough to get iu.

I sure don't remember ever posting or inferring "that the va hardly look at ssd evidences" but do feel that there

might be some situations where this could apply.

In general I would never agree that "the va hardly look at ssd evidences".

Have you gotten a copy of your SSA records and submitted them to VA or provided VA with

a signed ROI - from SSA to VA?

Of course SSA records should be considered in a claim at VA for IU.

Something else to keep in mind is that if your SSA records show diagnosis and consideration to

grant SSA benefits - for medical issues that ARE NOT SC'd - VA will refer to this in their denial

of increased benefits due to IU.

VA's decision will mention something like even tho SSA found you unemployable, VA finds that your

non SC'd conditions are what render you unemployable and use this to support their denial for IU.

In other words for SSA purposes - all medical conditions are factored in to a fully favorable decision for SSA.

For VA purposes - ONLY SC'd medical conditions are considered for IU or any other VA benefits.

this may be a little long but will tell you a few things that ssd and my doctor said and hope this will give me a better chance

at getting iu(if i get lucky) and the va look at my ssd award.

sparkle - Remember that VA and SSA are like comparing apples and oranges.

VA's only consideration criteria for employability (IU) are medical issues - that are SC'd.

Consider VA's criteria to be an apple.

Your profile shows you are compensated at a 40 percent evaluation level.

This does not yet meet the criteria for 38 CFR 4.16a.

Since you have submitted a claim for IU, I believe the VA will request updated medical records

from your VAMC. If records exist at your VAMC I suggest pointing this out to the VARO or

obtaining copies on your own and submitting them to the VARO.

If you have received treatment anywhere else I suggest obtaining copies of

those records, reading thru them to see if they provide additional medical evidence that would

help support an increase to a higher evaluation of your current percentages.

If they would then I would submit a copy to VA (always keep a copy for yourself).

Since you do not meet the criteria of 4.16a, if you don't have a recent C&P exam of record

(within say 1 year) then a VA decision maker will most likely request that C&P exam/s be scheduled

to help determine current level of disability.

This way they will see if:

a) your SC'd disabilities have increased in severity enough to warrant an increase

to a compensable level that meets the criteria of 4.16a -

then they will continue further development from this point.

b) even tho your SC'd percentage does not meet 4.16a - are they just so disabling, above and

beyond the nature of others with the same conditions - that you should be afforded special considerations

under 4.16b. and grant IU due to this.

My research strongly believes me to feel that - NO - 4.16b, will not be applicable in your situation,

as it very rarely is.

SSA's consideration criteria for employability are any and all medical issues, that fit their criteria

for disabilities.

SSA has absolutely no concern nor consideration of whether the medical condition/s are

SC'd or not.

Consider SSA's criteria to be an orange.

1. Medical Opinion from my va psychiatrist: since nov. 2009 claimant has experienced persisting mental health sxs including anxiety, panic attacks, sleep disturbance, mood swings, withdrawal from others, depressed mood, low energy, and manic episode. she is dx with bipolar d/o and ptsd. exacerbation of sxs of ptsd have limited her ability to maintain gainful employment. prognosis for significant, change and improvement is probably poor.

it is believed by the examiner that she cannot manage beneifits in her own best interest (my up & down of bipolar) at the present time because of her inability to make even simple change.

A. Conclusion: claimant had some difficulty following some instructions. her attention and concentration are reduced below normal. i do not believe she would be able actively perform repetitive tasks with any consistency. i believe she would have a lot of difficulty relating to people around her in a work setting and that she would not be able to tolerate the stress and pressures associated with day-to-day work activity.

2. Medical determinable impairments and severity by ssd

A. impairmenta diagnorders----------priority----------------------severity

The affective disorder primary severe

Anxiety disorder secondary severe

B. SSD MSE accepatable source Dr.Levitt: dx bipolar d/o, anxiety nos, ptsd, possible personality disorder. Throughout the interview she appeared very nervous, at times somewhat shaky, she was slightly tremulous at times. no other unsual mannerisms, posture and gait were fairly normal. she spoke in a low voice with a normal rate and rate. Prognosis for significant, change and improvement is probably poor.

it believe by the exminer that she cannot manage benefits in her own best interest at the present time because of her inability to make even simple change.

This reads as if both the VA medical opinion and the SSA MSE are stating you are not competent to handle

funds for both VA and SSA purposes.

This is certainly not something I would want - for them to have finding that I can't handle my financial

fairs accordingly - on my own behalf.

This is the exact evidence used for a determination that a fiduciary need to be assigned to control your

monetary benefits - how ever they choose.

Do you have a fiduciary assigned to control your SSA benefits?

With all that being said, would it be a good ideal to take this txt to my c&p exam dr.?

and should i mail a copy of this txt as more info for my iu claim or would that just push my claim back?

Not sure how long it will take after my c&p but i can wait it out.

Was told by my amvet rep. that i should hear something by aug of the year. All input is welcome.

If SSA granted due solely to SC'd disabilities - yes I would take a copy to the VA C&P exam and

say to the examiner, I do not think this has caught up with my file yet so I would like to leave a copy

for your consideration in this examination. Ditto on your "Medical Opinion from my va psychiatrist:"

Something that I have quite a bit of concern with regarding your VA claim for IU is, you posted you are

SC'd at "30% for depression and 10% for tbi".

a) Your "Medical Opinion from my va psychiatrist:"states:

"she is dx with bipolar d/o and ptsd. exacerbation of sxs of ptsd have limited her ability to maintain gainful employment."

b) Your SSA examiner states:

"SSD MSE accepatable source Dr.Levitt: dx bipolar d/o, anxiety nos, ptsd, possible personality disorder."

Your medical conditions that are SC'd - (from what you posted are) only depression and tbi.

I feel it is of great importance to study the VA decision that SC'd you for depression and tbi

and verify that "bipolar", "ptsd" and "possible personality disorder" are diagnosis that are shown somewhere

in the decision to be included as part of your SC'd disabilities. Also, hopefully anything at all to do

with "possible personality disorder" or a diagnosis of such - absolutely must be medically connected

to your SC for the tbi.

If these additional diagnosis are not of record as being part of or inclusive in your grant of SC'd disabilities,

I feel this evidence could easily be used to support a denial for any increase of VA compensation -

to include support for a denial of IU.

P.S. NO I AM NOT AS CRAZY AS IT SOUNDS AND I DO JUST FINE WITH PAYING MY OWN BILLS, BUT DO HAVE A HARD TIME WHEN I GET MANIC AND GO SHOPPING. AM I THE ONLY LADY THE WILL SHOP TIL SHE DROPS OR MONEY RUN OUT? WHICH EVER COMES FIRST!!!!

With what the medical evidence above states - you will quite possibly be assigned a fiduciary.

I would be gathering hard financial evidence to support I am fully capable of handling my finances

in a timely manner.

On a personal note - I suggest you train and fight yourself to stop shopping way before the

"MONEY RUN OUT".

JMHO - carlie

*Sparkle