Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hearing Loss

Rate this question

stillhere

Question

I just got a copy of my C&P by QTC in May of this year and by the opinion of the examiner my hearing loss is at least as not the result of my military service!

Does this mean what I think it does? After nearly 30 odd years an examiner agrees with me as where my hearing loss started?

My hearing is really bad at 52% speech recogniztion in my left ear and deaf in my right or CNT.

Can anyone give me an idea what to expect as far as rating and what date. I first applied in 83 and was denied and then let it close but tried to reopen in 03 and the VA denied to open because no new material. Now this doctor is saying that the descrepancies in m exam and discharge should be thrown out.

i am at a loss now as to what will happen. Would this go under cue or will they just grant from 03 or will they just deny again?

I am 100% all ready and only stayed with this because I delieve I am right! I would appreciate any comments!

Edited by stillhere

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Well, "at least as likely as not due to military service" probably means you should get SC for hearing loss, but the VA loves to deny these and make you appeal, so you may not get it on the first go around.

However, it may be "moot" unless you have a lot more disabilities ABOVE 100percent. You will need another 60% to get SMC S, above and beyond the first 100%, and, it is unlikely that you will get it with SC for hearing loss alone. Hearing loss is rarely rated over 10%..unless your speech recognition is very low.

If 52% is your speech recognition, then you do have a severe hearing loss indeed. If you mean an average of 52 decibel (not 52% speech recognintion)loss, then that wont mean a lot. I have a 55 average decibel loss, with speech recognition above 80% and get only 10% for hearing loss.

Thank you Bronco vet I am at 52% speech recognization! My hearing is quite bad.

Not sure how this will play out but I am hoping for an award earlier than my initial award of 100% in 2005 after my heart attacks. If that happens I might get some bucks back that I payed while waiting for the VA to step up.

I originally filed in 83 and after a C&P exam then they denied. This is the first C&P I have had since then and I am at the BVA.

Seems like everyone is busy I guess?

Anyhow my ebenefits says a decision has been made but I have heard nothing. I called my VSO today and she said will get back to me later in the week and let me know.

waiting is always the worst for me and causes all kinds of thoughts in my head as far as are they really going to SC this time and will they call themselves out for their mistake after all these years?? Hmmm....

SC GRANTED!

Service connection for bi-lateral hearing loss at 70% and Tininitus at 10% back to only 2008??

Will have to check on the date but staying with this even when all said no chance! Has been a redeeming effect on me. Hearing loss has pretty much dictated my life since my return from Nam and yet the VA kept denying me!

I feel my hearing loss contributed to my being held back in my career and definitely kept me from being as successful as others!

Hearing loss is a "DISABILITY" and can significatlly hold you back in achieving a goal as much as any other disability!!

Well said.

Im 40% for hearing loss and tinitus and miserable. I cant even imagine the pain youve endured at deafness in one ear and 52% speech recognition in the other. This means at any given moment you literally only catch 30% of what is being said around you.

Way to hang in there and not just take your 100% and forget about it.