Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Bva Web Site Problem

Rate this question

Berta

Question

It seems I have had to contact the BVA ombudsman 3 or 4 times since last year because of problems at the decision site.

Has anyone here contacted them yet about the fact that we can see the link to 2012 decisions but cannot open them?

Could a few others here be willing to email them at bvaombudsman@va.gov and tell them of the problem.

In the past I told them many on line veterans advocates are interested in these BVA decision but maybe they think I made that up.

Or call them at 1-202-632 4623 and ask them to fix it?

I emailed them again and also called but the ombudsman wasn't available by phone yet today.

It is frustrating and after someone did mention this problem here some time ago ,I thought they contacted the BVA -and surely BVA had fixed it until today when many 2012 decisions came up that regarding the claim I was doing research for....but I couldnt read them ! mad.gif

I am calling BVA in ten minutes again- but it would be nice if a few members here would complain too.

Let me know at hadit what response you get from them.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Update.... the BVA just told me they are aware of the problem but are waiting for the 'contracting' company to fix it.

I said, 'do you mean the VA has contracted out what is probably a fairly simple technical problem that the VA itself cannot fix' ?

She said Yes. She didnt know when those 2012decisions will be accessible.

VA intends to go entirely paperless for the VA claims process and they can't even figure out a problem

opening the 2012 BVA files at their BVA web site???

Berta, I just contacted them via email to ask where I could locate the 2012 Decisions because on their website http://www.index.va....bva.html hope this is correct) the prompt of 2012 is not yet available. Not sure if I am looking at the same page as you Berta because I cannot see any of the 2012 cases - let alone try to click on them.

IF your are able to see the individual decisions for 2012 yet the link is not connected (dead link or unclickable)- it is an easy fix....takes less then a minute to fix each link IF the corresponding information (page they are linking to = individual cases) is/are completed. I'd do it for them for free...if they let me = fat chance of that happening:)

Maybe if enough people send emails or phone - they might get the ball moving a little faster?

Edited by USMC5811

“A nation reveals itself not only by the men it produces, but also by the men it honors, the men it remembers.” - John F. Kennedy

I posted some time ago about this and others thought I just needed to wait for the decisions to become available. They are/were available but the site does not have 2012 in the drop down. If you search "all years" then 2012 decisions do show but, like Berta says, the link is broken.

I contacted them and they said they would get to it when the get a chance. Just like my claim, they made a decision 90 days ago and will tel me about it when they get a chance. Actually, peggy was honest with me last week and told me I was not a priority so just wait. It sucks but I appreciate the honesty.

Thank you both-

Maybe that is why I just got this email

"We are aware of the problem and are working on getting it up and running. I

do not have an estimated date. I appreciate your bringing it to our

attention and will forward to the proper channel.

Diane, Congressional Liaison,

Ombudsman

Board of Veterans' Appeals

810 Vermont Avenue

Washington DC, 20420"

I wish the claims process itself would get up and running. Part of the problem lies here-many VA decisions are still difficult for most vets to even read. I have had to read and re read stuff from the VA many many times to get what they mean.

I got this link today from the FCW, as to the Plain Writing Act as some grading the FCW did.

http://fcw.com/articles/2012/07/23/plain-writing-scores-agencies-va.aspx

In part:

"Everyone recognizes the value of good communication, and a mandate on plain writing issued in 2010 put extra pressure on the federal government to shun the gobbledygook. A new report, however, found that few agencies have made actual strides in avoiding convoluted language.

The Plain Writing Act of 2010 was instituted as a building block to increase government transparency by calling for writing that’s clear, concise and well-organized, void of jargon, redundancy and ambiguity. In an April 2011 memo to agency heads, Cass R. Sunstein, administrator in the Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs, said plain writing is ”indispensable” to establishing a system of transparency, public participation and collaboration

via.pngFCW (http://s.tt/1iLNU)

And

<a name=curate-us-tag1"> On the bottom of the list was the Veterans Affairs Department, with F’s in both columns. The dismal grades represent the agency’s non-compliance with almost all of the requirements in the Plain Writing Act, the center said. Although VA had designated a plain-writing official, “that is apparently all they have done. . . . There is no website, apparently no plan or compliance report,” the report card states.

via.pngFCW (http://s.tt/1iLNU)"

@#$^%(&*$^% !!!!!

Having said all those bad words-I feel better BUT perturbed that

the BVA decision link seems to be broken AGAIN!!!!!!

For 2 days I figured it was just my PC- when my satellite dish is in a low cloud cover sometimes I have internet problems-

Today there is no weather reason for that.

I had to google Board of Veterans Appeals and then the disability to get google results that got me to some decisions I could open and read..

Apparently the contracting company who is supposed to fix the 2012 decisions,per the ombudsman last month ( we cant open them at all) maybe buggered the whole darn site.

Since VA intends to go entirely paperless, I sure hope they handle medical records via their PCs better than the way these decisions are being handled on line.

And if the medical record aspect of a paperless VA gets messed up, I wonder about having a contractor handle such personal; and critical data.

I saw my non VA PCP yesterday for a check up (I am a civilian ) and they were beginning a full transfer of all of their medical records

into their PCs without much of a rigamarale at all.

This stuff concerns me.

As an advocate I depend on BVA decisions a lot, to understand the inner thinking of the board lawyers and how they apply the regulations. I hope they fix this problem fast.

Berta

I think the "low quality" of the VA's IT systems is indicative they really dont hire the most qualified employees or contractors. They hire those "well connected" instead.

If you are a private company, you can not tolerate your system "down".

Sites like Yahoo, Google, MSN, etc, have dozens of backups if a system goes "down" and you wont even know it. VA could have that, too, but instead they squander money hiring politically well connected friends.

Its at least part of "whats wrong" with the VA.

Like you, I am not so patient with the BVA being down. There is also a rather persistent "rumor" that the VA is NOT processing appeals, and have instead allocated all resouces to initial claims, because the politicians have taken "heat" about the backlog, and this is election year.

I dont think they are "shutting down" the BVA, but I dont think a claim will be "readied" for the BVA at all. I dont even know about DRO's because they can also write initial claims decisions.