VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Allergic Sinusitis – What To Do When You “Soldiered On” With The Condition On Active Duty?

Rate this question

DrBarbae

Question

What options do I have to prove allergic sinusitis at when my service records do not show that I had antibiotic treatment for four to six weeks? I have had more than six non-incapacitating episodes per year with the condition, but I don’t have headaches with it. It’s not in my record that I went to the clinic often enough to substantiate my claim. Why are those records not there? I just lived with the condition unless it was really, really unbearable. It was part of of who I was and am: I just get sick often, and the meds don’t really do that much good for the routine symptoms. I just let the nastiness run its course.

The bottom line question is, when you “soldier on” in spite of a condition and your records don't back you up, what is the best course of action?

Flying training and combat zone pollution have affected my sinuses...that's my nexus for service connection. I have a 0% rating now, for what that is worth.

Here is what the schedule of ratings says about this under DC 6514:

30% - Three or more incapacitating episodes per year of sinusitis requiring prolonged (lasting four to six weeks) antibiotic treatment, or; more than six non-incapacitating episodes per year of sinusitis characterized by headaches, pain, and purulent discharge or crusting

Thanks!

2 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

A "0" % rating for the allergic sinusitus is worth alot. They have already service connected you. Have you requested an increase. What does the decision say at the time of initial service connection for 0% in regards to your current symptoms. By not going to the doctor you may have lost back pay. However, start going to the doctor now and make sure they document everything.

Also keep in mind that you are allowed to state what you have first hand knowledge of. You can also get witness statements. Cover all periods of time in your statements. In service post service. Also keep in mind that if you are continuing to have symptoms it may not be the pollutants you think were causing them. All you know is that the symptoms are continuing.

I have seen claims in which .the veterans treatment records are silent for symptoms and when they file the claim they do not make a statement insupport of the claim noting the symptoms. Then the claim is rated based on the silent treatment notes and the silent statement in support of the claim without a C&P. Once the veteran submits statements in support of the claim and witness statements the claim is then rated. If the claim is still open and in the appeal period you might be able to get rated back to the filing date. .

Edited by Hoppy

let me add to this...whenever your go to the doctor for your sinusitis tell them you have chronic sinusitis and it is not Rhinitis...tell them over and over its about sinusitis.