Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Vist To The Psychiatrist

Rate this question

IconicX

Question

I visited my Psychiatrist off today and after several visits and after getting to know him I oppened up completely. I told him tried to commit suicide earlier in my life (age 10-12).... Was this a bad move on my part? please help.............

V/r

Klent

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

This is just my two cents ........I personally think telling the truth is always a good thing, even if it just might not be beneficial compensation wise . Personally I have always believed that others can take a lot of things away from me (material things etc) but they can't take away my integrity...only I can give that up by not being truthful.....my integrity is just not something I'm willing to give up or lose for anything period.

With that said.....Anything you reveal can be written down somewhere in your records and then becomes a permanent part of those records. Will there be a time when certain information may be used used against you in regards to claims = VA stating that your condition began prior to service....maybe.....but that does not stop a Vet from stating that their "pre-service condition" was made worse by their military service.

Like I said this is just my personal opinion - hopefully others with give their viewpoint.

It seem to me you already have 100 % SC. You have your award. You are SC. You are just in treatment right now and you are afraid that they might take away your award based on that your disability is not SC but pre-existing? If you have a busybody pysch he could advocate for you to be re-examined and try to take your SC away from you. Do you think he is like that? If you prove to him beyond a shadow of a doubt through telling your history of multiple episodes of mental illness before service he won't have to be a busybody but you will be handing the case over to him wrapped in a red ribbon. I would cool it on the overly truth telling stuff and comfortable confessions and make sure that my symptoms (except for this admitted incident) nicely manifests itself in service and afterward. It is ok to have a childhood so rough that you want to opt out of life. But hopefully you are telling him that you first started to hear voices and stuff like that while you were in service. And please don't say that you were officially diagnosed before service. (Unless of course it is true. Wink! Wink! And if so............ bye bye bennies.) Man up. Be smart. The pysch is not your friend. If you really need someone to talk over some of this stuff that is bothering you and it points to pre-existing conditions get counseling on your own dime outside of the VA system. My philosophy is that it is better to be smart than homeless.

• HadIt.com Elder

.... Was this a bad move on my part? please help.............

V/r

Klent

I understand your concerns, 'vet2010. There is always a chance your med records wont always be read by reliable, honorable VA employees...

I am reminded of the poem "IF" by Rudyard Kipling.

There is a stanza in the poem that seems appropriate for this topic.:

"If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken"

"Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,"...

With the limited info you have posted here, JMHO, If you were reevaluated for some reason, and an apathetic bureaucratic VA Rater tried to diddle with your SC rating, you would win on appeal.

All things considered, I still believe the truth will always set you free.

Cmdr. Bob

Edited by Commander Bob