VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Is P And T Worth Fighting For When I Have 100% Sc Already?

Rate this question

IconicX

Question

What are the benefits of being rated P and T over just being 100 % SC.

I want to know if it is worth the fight. I am scheduled for another exam in three years. Should I just wait for that? I feel if I didn't have a scheduled Exam I could move to Thailand. But I am hesitant because I might not be able to be treated there or have documentation that VA deem valid of my continued SC disability of mental/mood disorder. Any ideas? Feedback?

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

Hey Iconic,

This is nuts but I am in the same situation as you are. I want to eventually move to Asia too and has already been going over there and doing the research on how to make VA apart of it. For me, of course P&T would be worth it and is the next step. I have two teenagers that will need help with college and chapter 35 would be great for them. You may also qualify for property tax exemption. But like everything else, the VA won't give it to you like candy. Requesting P&T may lead to another examination but can sort of " set you free" from future appointments.

I think we need to find out about how the VA treat SC veterans abroad. I know there is a separate department within the VA that handles vets who lives abroad, and they may have some sort of " reporting " system in place. What you want to do is pretty common. Many SS retirees do move out of the country and there is no law against it. For instance, you can opt to have your SS funds picked up at the US embassy monthly.

Keep in touch and good luck

P&T is well worth it for me. I am 100% and the benefits of on base shopping and using virtually all the MWR benefits just as if I am retired military help save money every month.

My wife just retired too and she has hospital benefits through champva and we pay for her for a suppement that cost only 68 bucks a month. So we save a bundle there. Even when she worked and carried me she had like 200 a month! Plus her deductible so we are saving a ton there. She also gets meds by mail so this is a truly god send bennie.

P&T gives us a sense of relief that you are now done with the VA paper trail in a way, and security to move on with your life.

Your state and mabe even Thialand have benefits too if you are P&T.

So yes to me is well worth it. Although I did not have try to get there as some do because I have many disabilites and one at 100% so it came fairly easy!

Good luck to you, Stillhere

Edited by stillhere

As was pointed out, there are benefits to p and t. Are they worth fighting the VA for years for? Not for me. While I do use the commisary and post sometimes, they are a drive for me and it is negligible whether its "worth the drive" to go to the post.

For example, while my state has no sales tax on food, the commisary charges about 6% "surcharge"..added to the bill, comparable to sales tax.

In a like manner, the Post (or Base) exchange is not always that great of a deal. Many times I can find the item cheaper on the outside. While they are supposed to "match prices" it has to be exactly the same model number. They have figured that one out. For example if HP has a computer, they may call the same model a "HP 21xx" with Walmart, an "HP21yy" at Best Buy, and a "HP21zz" on post. By manipulating the model numbers retailers can charge different prices for the same thing and not have to match prices. The post does exactly that. So you can forget "price matching" to save sales tax.

Most of the time I have to go to both my local store and the post both anyway, as neither of them by themselves have everything I need. Our local store has a "rewards program" that saves me 10 cents a gallon on gas the post does not participate in. Often our local grocery has milk on sale lower than the commissary, and much closer.

Sometimes your state may have some sort of property tax waiver for P and T Vets, unavailable to other Vets. If your state has this, it may be worth persuing if you have high property taxes.

In spite of the benefits, the cost of fighting the VA for years for an "attaboy..you are permanent and total" isnt worth it to me. I considered fighting the VA for SMC for 96 per month..and felt that wasnt worth it either. The Va wants you to abandon your benefits and makes them particularly hard to get so you will do that rather than fight to obtain them. You need to pick your battles with the VA. You probably wont live long enough to get all the benefits to which you are entitled, at least not if the VA has their say.

I hear you Bronco. As I posted a couple of years ago.., I am currently on SMC but VA did not grant me P&T. Isn't that screwed up or what? Its like saying you are really messed up beyond the 100% but its not permanent, well fixed me then.

Hey Iconic,

This is nuts but I am in the same situation as you are. I want to eventually move to Asia too and has already been going over there and doing the research on how to make VA apart of it. For me, of course P&T would be worth it and is the next step. I have two teenagers that will need help with college and chapter 35 would be great for them. You may also qualify for property tax exemption. But like everything else, the VA won't give it to you like candy. Requesting P&T may lead to another examination but can sort of " set you free" from future appointments.

I think we need to find out about how the VA treat SC veterans abroad. I know there is a separate department within the VA that handles vets who lives abroad, and they may have some sort of " reporting " system in place. What you want to do is pretty common. Many SS retirees do move out of the country and there is no law against it. For instance, you can opt to have your SS funds picked up at the US embassy monthly.

Keep in touch and good luck

Iraqx2

I really want to be able to retire to Thailand. But being prepared for the re-evaluation in three years weighs on me. I know I need to have a paper trail that I am still in treatment. I am thinking about coming back every four months for a few weeks for an appointment with my case worker and my psychiatrist. I think I can set that up. But what seem even better is the FMP program. It is for veterans residing abroad. It will pay for my SC treatment so I could probably afford a psychiatrist that would be "willing to play ball" ie. willing to get regular fees for regular counseling and updating my prescriptions and continuing to support my claim of being disabled and incapable of making a reasonable living. (Which I am.) but we know with the VA it is about perception and documentation. So I think this might work for me. And in three years when I am re-examined I won't have a hole in my treatment and meds. But I will have continuous documentation and supportive report from an accredited Thai pysch.

Here is the link to FMP. I don't know if that helps your situation. I think it does mine. The heck with getting P and T now. Maybe after my re-evaluation in three years VA will give it to me. I am leaving for Thailand Oct. 4, I thought for 3 months, but I will check into this and try to find a pysch while there and I might stay there indefinately if everything works out all right.

http://www.va.gov/hac/forbeneficiaries/fmp/fmp.asp