VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Is P And T Worth Fighting For When I Have 100% Sc Already?

Rate this question

IconicX

Question

What are the benefits of being rated P and T over just being 100 % SC.

I want to know if it is worth the fight. I am scheduled for another exam in three years. Should I just wait for that? I feel if I didn't have a scheduled Exam I could move to Thailand. But I am hesitant because I might not be able to be treated there or have documentation that VA deem valid of my continued SC disability of mental/mood disorder. Any ideas? Feedback?

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

As was pointed out, there are benefits to p and t. Are they worth fighting the VA for years for? Not for me. While I do use the commisary and post sometimes, they are a drive for me and it is negligible whether its "worth the drive" to go to the post.

For example, while my state has no sales tax on food, the commisary charges about 6% "surcharge"..added to the bill, comparable to sales tax.

I guess it depends on what your looking for.. I live less than five miles from Randolph AFB and we use the commissary every week. Sure some of the items they have are higher than walmart or other stores, but some of the items in walmart are higher than the commissary. My wife is aways sawing how much we save at the commissary. And the commisary also has bulk sales on many items at least once if not twice a year. We also use Lackland AFB and Fort Sam which are considerably farther from home but well worth using.

In a like manner, the Post (or Base) exchange is not always that great of a deal. Many times I can find the item cheaper on the outside. While they are supposed to "match prices" it has to be exactly the same model number. They have figured that one out. For example if HP has a computer, they may call the same model a "HP 21xx" with Walmart, an "HP21yy" at Best Buy, and a "HP21zz" on post. By manipulating the model numbers retailers can charge different prices for the same thing and not have to match prices. The post does exactly that. So you can forget "price matching" to save sales tax.

I can agree that the exchange doesn't always have a great selection or better deals than the local stores, but the minute you walk into the exchange your going to save money because your not going to pay taxes on any purchase.. We make a lot of big purchases for example , furniture, appliances, stereo equipment, TV's. The PX carries the top of the line, and so prices arn't always going to be lower,.... but you get what you pay for.

As far as your coments about price matching... thats just garbage. first the exchage or walmart or anyone else doesn't give a product the model number or name, the maker does.. You comment about price matching is just well.. to be nice, your very mistaken. I have used the exchange for the last 42 years..what you say is really off in never never land...

Most of the time I have to go to both my local store and the post both anyway, as neither of them by themselves have everything I need. Our local store has a "rewards program" that saves me 10 cents a gallon on gas the post does not participate in. Often our local grocery has milk on sale lower than the commissary, and much closer.

Most of the time we use both local and Post as well. You have to if your a smart shopper. The PX however does offer a discount in gas, if you use their "Star Card". Walmarts offers 5 cents off gas if you use their credit card, and 3 cents of if you use a walmart gift card. Gas on post has always been more expensive who know why, but at some places you can still get full service, and purchase auto related items .. try that at a gas station off post.. If your getting 10 cest off a gallon than it is a big secret because I don't know of any place that offers such a discount, and why should they.. unless they own the refinery they aren't making much on gas to begin with.

Sometimes your state may have some sort of property tax waiver for P and T Vets, unavailable to other Vets. If your state has this, it may be worth persuing if you have high property taxes.

I've been rated TDIU or 100% since 1999.. I've also lived in 4 states and not one of them every asked about P/T...Most states offer lower property taxes based on your disability rating.. not your "status"... in fact with all the research I have done.. I don't think they even know what P/T is. Most states give total tax waivers based on 100% and some base on TDIU.. but few if any take into consideration P/T.. How about you let the board know which states do require P/T and maybe we can get something done about it....

In spite of the benefits, the cost of fighting the VA for years for an "attaboy..you are permanent and total" isnt worth it to me. I considered fighting the VA for SMC for 96 per month..and felt that wasnt worth it either. The Va wants you to abandon your benefits and makes them particularly hard to get so you will do that rather than fight to obtain them. You need to pick your battles with the VA. You probably wont live long enough to get all the benefits to which you are entitled, at least not if the VA has their say.

P/T is more than an atta boy.. and your making such a statement is factually wrong. P/T leads to Dependant education and dependant medical care. These are benefits worth haveing if you have a family.

You sound very bitter, and worse misinformed......

first I get one K award and an smc, and the trouble to claim them were well worth it. If some one is entitled to them they will get them, if not they won't and yes sometimes it takes an appeal but they are normally won or the claim isn't valid.

I think your misinformed and your opinon bias,..... Look Military commissaries, and PX's are just another place to shop. they offer the same goods and services as those stores off base, sometimes at a savings, other times with better selections or quality items, unlike walmart that offer 10 different MP3 players or Ipods real cheap and they last for 90 days, vrs the few named brand MP3 or Ipod offered on base for a few more dollars, I'll take quality anytime over saving a few dollars...

Now to answer the original posters question, T/P is well worth the fight expecially if you have a family.. but isn't anything worth having ususally worth the fight.