VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Lost Records

Rate this question

CCC

Question

Hey y'all.

I have a question about lost records. My husband was at Fitz for about 4 months for a condition that we are requesting service connection on.

We contacted St. Louis, and they sent us what they have, which did not include Fitz. We got, about 2 months ago, his complete SMRs, but nothing in there from Fitz.

I just called St. Louis and they reiterated that they don't have anything from Fitz, and the VA stands firmly that everything from Fitz is in St. Louis.

Obviously, Fitz is closed, and I am at my wit's end. This is important to his claim, as he was hospitalized for about 4 months, yet no one knows where they could be.

I've noticed many holes in his records.

Any ideas?

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

Losing records happens often enough that there is a special regulation just for it. It is 38 CFR 3.156 C.

It does not really help you "win" benefits, but if you do win them, it can help you get an earlier effective date. You will have to proceed on your claim without them, unless you can try other methods and places to find them.

It happens quite frequently when the VA and NPRC point fingers at each other.

Contact the hospital where he was hospitalize and see if they have a copy or where do they send their copy to be archive.

Reddit

Thanks, Reddit. Wish I could. The hospital closed in 1999.