VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How Long Will I Be Paid Smc "s" For Prostate Cancer?

Rate this question

evandc

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I am 100% PTSD (TDIU) & also have SMC "S" for Prostate Cancer. I have completed 43 radiation treatments months ago. How long will the VA pay the "S" award? I know people that seem to have the award forever & others that are cut just months after treatment. My doctor says will be 5 years before we can say I'm really Cancer free. Is there some regulation that would help me understand what's going on. I, for sure am not going to ask the VA .

To keep the award, when they drop 100%, you would need 60% + the other 100%. I see veterans claim ED, leakage (requiring adult diapers) that would be changed 4 or more times a day. If they change 3 times a day the BVA normally gives them 20% or 40%. ANY ideas?

Thanks,

Don Evans

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

Boy-I hear you on the way prostate cancer is rated-

will this help you?

http://www.va.gov/vetapp06/files2/0603581.txt

If the doc says 5 years to go before you are cancer free- that is something VA has to consider-but what would they do- send you a letter just like that- in an attempt to lower your comp-or re-evaluate it? dont know-

you dont have to answer this Don- but I would sure ask them for the "K" award too for ED- if it applies to you-

The 2006 decisions at BVA under Prostate cancer might help you on this = you asked a real good question-I have a cancer vet (AO) who also is worried about his SMC-and his cancer has been in remission for sometime-

• HadIt.com Elder

Berta,

Thanks for the BVA Appeal case. I printed it out & will have to read it several times to understand what's going on. The VA Hospital doctor says 5 years & has me coming in every six months. His main interest is the PSA number. PSA has gone from 4.18 (with Cancer) to .32 after radiation. The VA sent me to an outside hospital for the radiation. Really have to say was treated great during those 9 weeks. VA put us in hotel & had a van pick us up 3 times a day & we were home from early Friday to late Sunday afternoon.

I think the VARO would just send me a letter saying that in 3 months(?) I would be cut from 100% to whatever 20%-40% & I could submit evidence or ask for a C & P. Once they got me below 60% the "S"

Award would be gone & would cut me about $280 a month. The "K" Award would be in play, but until that time I'm not even talking or writing the VA for anything. So from an "S" Award to a "K" Award is about $200 a month cut.

Real problem, I have is there seems to be no consistant rule applied for the residual of Prostate Cancer. There also seems to be no time period that you would keep award. I'm near 2 year mark & have talked with vest who were cut months after treatment. Others I have talked with have the awards for years.

Thanks,

Don

Edited by evandc

Don- I agree they are not consistent-

but I believe this depends on the continuous treatment type of treatment the vet needs and lingering residuals-

Thank God you got excellent care and that this type of cancer can be stopped- yet as your doctor said- one cannot get an assurance that they will remain cancer free- so that is what VA should consider-too-

It is sort of like the HBP glitch-

I have a vet who claimed his HBP was due to his AO DMII-of course it was- and he had med evidence to show this-

but the VA stated that since he was medicated for HBP, it had lowered his HBP -thus they didnt want to acknowledge this as a secondary DMII condition-

He fought this on his own and last I heard they did award the HBP as secondary-

They can pull this type of 'rationale' on many disabilities-fortunately they dont do it often but

it seems they try it sometimes-

I posted a claim here- retro to 1953-

vet had Gun shot wound- the bullet went clear through his arm-

for deacdes the VA would not acknowledge he had residual muscle damage- gave him comp for the scarring- DUH-

he fought them relentlessly and finally they acknowledged he had muscular involvement as a ratable disability as well as the scarring. The new GSW rating wasn't much but those decades of retro made it a big award.