Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Reviewing Claims

Rate this question

meghp0405

Question

Folks, I have to add this;

About 3-4 months ago, a veteran visited me and I put his claim together and we sent it to the VA. After completion, he had asked me how much % did I think he would obtain. I told him as I tell each veteran, I can not tell due to the VA's process and how they determine the service-connected disability. I did review my 38 CFR, chapter 3-4, and I told him that I would be suprised if he didn't receive 30, maybe 40 %. Do not hold me to that.

This veteran came in and seen me this past week. He was happy and he told me that the VA awarded him 70%. I'm thinking to myself, wow, I'm not normally that far off, but I did ask him to see his rating decision. He gave it to me and I reviewed his claim. I was flabergasted! I asked the vet when he had a hysterectomy? He looked at me puzzled and said never, he then asked me why I asked that. I told him that the VA awarded him 50% for having one.

I did a 21-4138, pointed out the mistake and submitted it with a 21-526ez.

Now, I have seen this before, and I really question the raters, the supervisor(s) that should of reviewed this before notification. They do a have a review phase, why not use it? These are the folks that are determining the outcome of these claims.

Need I say more???

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Crap - he could have kept his yap shut about it -

held the rating for 20 years and then the rating

would have been protected from severance or reduction.

LOL - but true

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.

Sorry that's just screwed up, but too funny - male veteran getting 50% for a hysterectomy. Must have had two files on his desk, pretty sad that it got through checks without it being caught. I thought there was a female vet who posted not to long ago on hadit.com that said they never rated her for her hysterectomy...maybe that's where her rating went?

“A nation reveals itself not only by the men it produces, but also by the men it honors, the men it remembers.” - John F. Kennedy

tanker2, I did his initial claim and submitted it on a VA FM 21-526ez (fully developed claim). Thes claims are taking around 90 days from start to finish.

Just curious if this would of gone 20 years without raising flags. I guess it could have if he never ever filed another claim...

Edited by meghp0405

So riddle me this Batman! If He held the rating for at least 10 years, and they did a re-exam could they take the rating away from him? I doubt he would show improvement, I am pretty sure he would still be sans Female reproductive organs. At 10 years the service connection is protected. What could or would they do?? I guess it would be a 0% rating. The worst part about this is some Female veteran probably received a denial for complete hysterectomy because there are no medical records in Her file indicating she had a hysterectomy (they are in this other Dudes file!)

Best regards,