VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Medical Vs. Tricare On Post

Rate this topic

I applied for and received approval for VA medical, but since Fort Lewis is closer to me than American Lake VA Hospital, I pay for Tricare and get treatment at Fort Lewis. The VA Hospital is only 15 to 20 minutes further, but I've never bothered to check it out. Because of my total rating and being OIF/OEF, I'm first priority at VA. Because I'm a retiree, I'm lowest priority at Fort Lewis. I've been wondering if I would get better care at the VA hospital. Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks!

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I applied for and received approval for VA medical, but since Fort Lewis is closer to me than American Lake VA Hospital, I pay for Tricare and get treatment at Fort Lewis. The VA Hospital is only 15 to 20 minutes further, but I've never bothered to check it out. Because of my total rating and being OIF/OEF, I'm first priority at VA. Because I'm a retiree, I'm lowest priority at Fort Lewis. I've been wondering if I would get better care at the VA hospital. Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks!

Welcome.

Please update your profile to show current level

of VA service connection (SC).

Thanks

I guess it depends on what your trying to get treatment for.

I use the VA for all service connected conditions and nothing else.

I use Brooke Army Medical Center, for everything else and sometimes service connected issues. I think that the military gives better treatment but I am bias. I also think that they respect and treat retirees better.

At BAMC I can get a same day appointment to see a PCP and I don't pay any co-pays for medications.

I can't get a same day appointment at the VA, in fact I was recently refused an appointment to see my PCP because as a employee told me in December, the PCP will only see me twice a year.... must be some new policy.

BAMC is 15 minutes away while the VA is 30-45 minutes depending on traffic...

At some point you will need to get care at the VA if you need prosthetic items like a wheelchair, brace or any durable medical equipment... they are free at the VA under Tricare you have to pay a co-pay. Also depending on your service connected issues, if you are authorized a clothing allowance, auto adaptive equipment , or need a ramp under the HISA program these are paid for by VA ... and it is better to have documented treatment at the VA for these issues, otherwise you might get the run around by some VA employee.