Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Champva And The Dental Program

Rate this question

mrs rockman (widow of vet)

Question

Has anyone heard anymore about the if or when the dental informaton will be mailed out? I called Champva about three weeks ago and the bids were still out. They said that it woud be shortly. I could really use it. I have major dental work on Monday, so I guess I will have to self pay.

Celia

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Celia, if you hear anything let me know. I do know that if you do some dental work they should back pay, maybe.

Celia, if you hear anything let me know. I do know that if you do some dental work they should back pay, maybe.

I surely will. Right now I do not know if we will be paying a monthly premium or just a co-pay. I hate to go on Monday, but I really do not have a choice. Then it will be..one penney..two penney..no more pennies when I start paying the dentist! I do not know if they will be reimbursing us or not-we will see-that is if we ever see the program up and running.

Oh well. like David always said "it is what it it is".

Celia

There is a lot of published information on what the terms of the dental insurance program will be. Just Google: "ChampVA dental pilot" You'll find the the specifics of the benefits, the VA has asked insurance companies to submit bids to provide.

The key in the request for the "proposal" is the term: "The program must be completely self-supporting," In other words, enrollees will be bearing all of the cost of the entire program, including the insurance company's profit. It is going to be very similar to TRICARE Retired Dental Insurance Program. It will be premium based. Some things will be covered 100%, most will have co-pays. The VA also submitted a Cost Impact Analysis to Congess for the program. Cost to taxpayers was estimated to be just a few hundred thousand dollars a year, just enough to hire a couple of GS employees to manage some administrative tasks.

Unfortunately, anyone waiting for this program with high expectations is in for a let-down.

There is a lot of published information on what the terms of the dental insurance program will be. Just Google: "ChampVA dental pilot" You'll find the the specifics of the benefits, the VA has asked insurance companies to submit bids to provide.

The key in the request for the "proposal" is the term: "The program must be completely self-supporting," In other words, enrollees will be bearing all of the cost of the entire program, including the insurance company's profit. It is going to be very similar to TRICARE Retired Dental Insurance Program. It will be premium based. Some things will be covered 100%, most will have co-pays. The VA also submitted a Cost Impact Analysis to Congess for the program. Cost to taxpayers was estimated to be just a few hundred thousand dollars a year, just enough to hire a couple of GS employees to manage some administrative tasks.

Unfortunately, anyone waiting for this program with high expectations is in for a let-down.

Thanks. I did not hold out too much hope and that is why I went on a scheduled my dental work for tomorrow. Usually when you have dental or vision premiums, the premiun cost may or may not be worth the benefits that it pays. Rockman never did take either one of these out when he worked at the prison ( and I made sure I said "worked", not a "guest" there). We put aside so much each month just in an insurance fund to help pay for those things when or if they came up. I will look up the site anyways.

Celia

Dental insurance Programs may be worthwile if you are someone who makes maximum use of the exam and prevention benefits that are covered at 100%. If you put aside money and wait for something to come up, the something that comes up may be very expensive to treat. Another advantage of insurance is that a network dentist has agreed to a certain fee schedule. With insurance, you may $350 of the $700 the dentist has agreed to take from the insurance.Without insurance, you'll pay the dentist's full fee, $1000 or more.

Dental insurance Programs may be worthwile if you are someone who makes maximum use of the exam and prevention benefits that are covered at 100%. If you put aside money and wait for something to come up, the something that comes up may be very expensive to treat. Another advantage of insurance is that a network dentist has agreed to a certain fee schedule. With insurance, you may $350 of the $700 the dentist has agreed to take from the insurance.Without insurance, you'll pay the dentist's full fee, $1000 or more.

Yes, I can see your point. I guess it really depends on the amount of the premiums and are there any dentist near you that are in the plan. When you have a very good dentist, you really hate to switch if you can help it.