Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Medicare

Rate this question

Guest Berta

Question

I have a friend , non vet and non disabled, who gets a small SSA check as he took the early retirement amount.

He is 65 in January and asked me how he applies for Medicare -but he is waiting until in December- I kind of think he should apply now-

SSA told me that in 2006 they will switch me to my other husband's account- and they said call 4 months before my birthday-

I think he should start the Medicare app process now (I dont think he is even eligible-long story there)

Should he- to at least find out if he is eligible? He only paid into SSA for a few years I think-

I still havent figured out how to delete- answered my own question-

Medicare web site DUH-

This might help someone out there-OK Medicare Part A is automatic, it is Part B that has to be enrolled into and in time for automatic draw from SSA check to be made---

That makes sense-

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

I believe that once you reach the regular retirement age that you are eligible for Medicare even if not for SS. Your friend should apply as it takes SS the full four months and he does not want to lose benefits he is entitled too.

• HadIt.com Elder

Berta

If he is already in the system, SS should send him a notification of his options about 4 months before his 65th birthday.

I have a friend , non vet and non disabled, who gets a small SSA check as he took the early retirement amount.

He is 65 in January and asked me how he applies for Medicare -but he is waiting until in December- I kind of think he should apply now-

SSA told me that in 2006 they will switch me to my other husband's account- and they said call 4 months before my birthday-

I think he should start the Medicare app process now (I dont think he is even eligible-long story there)

Should he- to at least find out if he is eligible? He only paid into SSA for a few years I think-

I still havent figured out how to delete- answered my own question-

Medicare web site DUH-

This might help someone out there-OK Medicare Part A is automatic, it is Part B that has to be enrolled into and in time for automatic draw from SSA check to be made---

That makes sense-

Berta,

If he is drawing SS at 62 then he will be eligible for Medicare at 65. Part A will be free and Part B he will pay for. He should apply 90 days prior to full retirement age. If he id drawing SS and not SSI then he will be okay. If he is on SSI he should apply fir Medicaid if he does not already have.

Berta,

If he is drawing SS at 62 then he will be eligible for Medicare at 65. Part A will be free and Part B he will pay for. He should apply 90 days prior to full retirement age. If he id drawing SS and not SSI then he will be okay. If he is on SSI he should apply fir Medicaid if he does not already have.

:unsure: Were is his income from now? He should contact the DPW or AAA (area agency on aging), there is a federal program for the elderly called Healthy Horizons, if he is a qualifying individual the program will pay for his Medicare part B. If he is on disability for two years then he could and should be on Medicare now. The programs are designed to help elderly individuals or individuals with disabilites who are eligible for medicare to pay some or all of their Medicare par B premium.