Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hearing Loss C & P

Rate this question

boomer2

Question

I had a C & P for hearing loss on Thursday and I need a question answered, hopefully. Here are my results from the test.

Right ear 1000, 2000, 3000, 4000 SRT 85db 91db 97db

55 70 75 75 60% 52% 72%

Left ear 1000, 2000, 3000, 4000 SRT 85db 91db 97db

50 65 75 75 44% 64% 60%

My question is this, which SRT value does the VA use to determine the amount of hearing loss you have?

I understand the Puretone threshold levels which are 69 and 66. I have searched the internet and the VA sites for

the SRT value they use but can't find anything.

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

The VA is supposed to use the reading that will give the vet the best monetary award for the overall test.

The speech % if it is the worst or the pure-tone. The VA takes the %'s and uses the table to figure the total.

Hope this helps!

Stillhere

Impaired hearing will be considered to be a disability for VA purposes when the thresholds for any of the frequencies of 500, 1000, 2000, 3000, and 4000 Hertz are 40 decibels or more; the thresholds for at least three of these frequencies are 26 decibels; or speech recognition scores using the Maryland CNC Test are less than 94 percent. 38 C.F.R. § 3.385.

Tables are on the following link:

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?c=ecfr&SID=44874d4a8f343b01c79e1f37c209f23d&rgn=div8&view=text&node=38:1.0.1.1.5.2.100.36&idno=38

Edited by x020574

Good luck boomer2 and bhoward422.

bhoward422, if your C&P exam for hearing is like the one I had, the exam will be conducted where you are in a sound proof booth wearing a headset on your ears and the examiner will be outside of the booth pressing a button which sends tone sounds of different frequencies to your headset. You will press a button whenever you hear a tone. The examiner will test one ear at a time. While in the soundproof booth, the examiner will also administer a speech discrimination test where the examiner will say different words and you repeat the words back to the examiner.

Prior to my exam, the examiner conducted an interview with me and asked about my noise exposure in the military and after the military. She asked about civilian recreational (hunting, music concerts, etc.) or occupational (civilian work) noise exposure. She also asked if I had any ringing in my ears. I responded "yes" and she asked if the ringing noise was constant and I responded "yes." She also asked how long I had the ringing in my ears and I responded "since I was in the military." The examiner also asked what my military occupational specialty (MOS) was in the military and I responded "field artillery." Your responses are important.

I was awarded 10% for hearing loss and 10% for tinnitus.

They are going to use the Maryland cox speech discrimination score.

Out of the three for each ear they uses the highest or best score.

In your case its the 64% and 72%

On the charts they will intersect Vll with Vl

Your rating for hearing loss will be 30% according to this c@p

Maryland cnc*