VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Reopen Claim With New Evidence

Rate this question

truck905

Question

I'm new to the site and just read ur posting and you got me thinking. I just submitted to reopen a claim for Obstructive Sleep Apnea (secondary to hypertension 0%)Asthma(increase from 30%)Obstructive Sleep Apnea (secondary to headaches, chest pains, and depression) and a new claim for prostate cancer. I collected letters from 3 guys I was stationed with stating they heard me snoring,had to wake me and gaging very bad when I slept, I think the statements were pretty strong statements concerning symptoms of sleep apnea, a letter from my wife of 12 years and a old girlfriend while stationed in KY who I dated while in the military and after service.I Also had sleep study done last month that was rated severe (5 normal 30 severe) I was rated 79, stop breathing 114 times with the longest period of not breathing 47 seconds. One of the Recommendations was not to operate heavy or commercial equipment. I sent in regulations from Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (Dept of Trans) showing them because of the OSA and asthma I cant legally operate a semi truck, which I owned and operated as self employed under my own company. (Unemployable) I applied for OSA back in 02, 04 and again in 12. I failed to mention I'm also a (K) sexual dysfunction. I've been driving semi (OTR) since 1995 and seems life is coming to a halt..... What's ur best guess?

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

If your doctor stated something close to "The Veterans sleep apnea is at least as likely as not caused in military service"...then your chances are good.

You have to have 3 things for SC:

1. A current diagnosis of sleep apnea...sounds like you got that and are apparently? on a CPAP.

2. An inservice event or aggravation.

3. A link or "nexus" (medical) between the two.

Since I have not reviewed your file, I dont know if you have number 3, especailly, or not. You will have to read your medical file and call that one.

If your doctor stated something close to "The Veterans sleep apnea is at least as likely as not caused in military service"...then your chances are good.

You have to have 3 things for SC:

1. A current diagnosis of sleep apnea...sounds like you got that and are apparently? on a CPAP.

2. An inservice event or aggravation.

3. A link or "nexus" (medical) between the two.

Since I have not reviewed your file, I dont know if you have number 3, especailly, or not. You will have to read your medical file and call that one.

There's diffidently an unexplained event between OSA and Hypertension from my reading. I was told but not in writing yet that over a serious long period of time OSA start to shut down organs and a higher chance for any type of cancer. I'm truthfully unemployable because of the guide lines set by DOT on OSA and Asthma. I thought the link on number 3 would be my Hypertension and Asthma which by my pulmonary has increased every year but not bad enough for the next level 60%. Now deal with this Prostate Cancer and diffently unsure of letting the VA cut on me.... Thanks for the reply