Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Voc Rehab Appointment Went Poorly

Rate this question

AmicusBrief

Question

I had my Voc Rehab appointment today and it went pretty badly. The VR counselor was rude and condescending. He said I only had 17 months of allotted benefits out of a total of 48 so it was a waste of time to try for an associates degree and extensions are impossible. He also said he didn't think anything was wrong with me because I'm only rated 10% for PTSD and 10% for tinnitus. He said he was there to help vets that are "really" disabled like guys that have lost a leg. I told him that my PTSD counselor and case manager recommended I seek vocational rehab and get out of the medical field. He went on the say that my appeal attorney (PTSD rating increase, counselor, and case manager didn't know what they are doing and I should just go look for a job. I've only worked 6 months since early 2009 and have been homeless since then. I can't cope with any more death and dying at work. But, it doesn't look like I can get retrained in another occupation. Is there any way to bypass this guy and get some help from someone not so caviler about my situation? Suggestions?

Looking back over time. I have to say, I had the right counselor in place. I did my homework as well. I didn't go in there looking like a fool. You have to know what you want, and tell the counselor your goals upon completion of VR&E. The VA isn't going to waste money on people who are uncertain and will figure out as they go. DENIED! I went to my appointment with all plans in place. I gathered my transcripts, had start dates, and a clear defined plan in place.

Now, I know there's NO WAY in hell a counselor would allow me to enter that program. Nothing on my part, but the program has taken a turn for the worst. I have a counselor who doesn't email. We've had our talks. She's played her games. Told the lady in the front office NOT to reimburse me for travel. I've spoken to her Supervisor. I was paid. However, I was NEVER paid for my travel. Nor was I awarded travel the day I came. All they need is approval from the director. My next step is to get my Senator involved. If that doesn't work, I will report them to the Federal Government. I will dime all of them out. And equal opportunity? HA In an office environment full of blacks, I can't help but to wonder if it's some form of discrimination toward my skin or sex. I'm getting tired of their crap.

I say that to say it's a long road, but if you need something it may be worth fighting for. There's level of escalations-Supervisor, director, Senators, and blowing the whistle if it's that severe. Whatever you do, don't do like I did in my "hot headed couldn't tell me anything days." If you're disrespectful, you're only hurting yourself. You never know who is listening. It could be the director behind you or maybe the Senator happened to pay a visit that day. As much as I hate the saying, "You never know,' it's true.Remain respectful even if they aren't.

I hate you didn't get approved. That is an excellent program and a life changer if used correctly. It's not for everyone. Everything was in place when I went. I did my homework. I had the right counselor. We literally bumped into each other at the eatery; before our meeting. Everything lined up perfectly. I have to say luck was on my side that day. The counselors NOW are completely incompetent. If I had to do all over again, I wouldn't get approved. There's NOT a doubt in my mind.

Edited by yoshi

I do feel for you bud, but I have to agree with the Counselor as far as you being rated so low for VA and PTSD. The VA has guidelines to go by, and as I have stated on here many times, when the well documented Disabilities are there, a Vet will win in the end, no matter how long it takes. I receive SSDI, VA 100% and my wife is my Caregiver, and I am only 32, and it still took a long time to get benefits that are supposed to be granted to Vets in bad shape like I am. God Bless you and I truly wish you the best. Good luck and keep us posted.

I'm currently in receipt of 100% disability and my wife is my caregiver....I also have a pending SSDI pending...How long does that take??

I do feel for you bud, but I have to agree with the Counselor as far as you being rated so low for VA and PTSD. The VA has guidelines to go by, and as I have stated on here many times, when the well documented Disabilities are there, a Vet will win in the end, no matter how long it takes. I receive SSDI, VA 100% and my wife is my Caregiver, and I am only 32, and it still took a long time to get benefits that are supposed to be granted to Vets in bad shape like I am. God Bless you and I truly wish you the best. Good luck and keep us posted.