Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Voc Rehab Appointment Went Poorly

Rate this question

AmicusBrief

Question

I had my Voc Rehab appointment today and it went pretty badly. The VR counselor was rude and condescending. He said I only had 17 months of allotted benefits out of a total of 48 so it was a waste of time to try for an associates degree and extensions are impossible. He also said he didn't think anything was wrong with me because I'm only rated 10% for PTSD and 10% for tinnitus. He said he was there to help vets that are "really" disabled like guys that have lost a leg. I told him that my PTSD counselor and case manager recommended I seek vocational rehab and get out of the medical field. He went on the say that my appeal attorney (PTSD rating increase, counselor, and case manager didn't know what they are doing and I should just go look for a job. I've only worked 6 months since early 2009 and have been homeless since then. I can't cope with any more death and dying at work. But, it doesn't look like I can get retrained in another occupation. Is there any way to bypass this guy and get some help from someone not so caviler about my situation? Suggestions?

Got some interesting news today. Last week I wrote the Voc Rehab Supervisor a letter and basically told them to shove it and that I didn't need them. Also mentioned that the counselor was an a$$hole and a couple other issue with the whole process, ended it with a notation of my attorney's name. Today I get a letter telling me I'm approved for benefits with an employment handicap and prepare for voc testing and educational plan development.

• HadIt.com Elder

You have the right to ask for a different Voc Rehab Councillor.

I had a similar terrible experience with my first session today... counselor told me I was "unemployable" due to my medical records, college grades and work history. He said he didn't want to recommend me to any employers because if they got a bad referral (me). If I had a seizure on the job, if I acted inappropriately, if I couldn't meet deadlines, if I weren't organized, etc. the employer might not use the program any more.

He even went so far as to opine that this was why I lost my last job (I was laid off due to offshore outsourcing).

I'm really lost here. Sent an email to the VRE SD but not really expecting a reply... the San Diego Regional Office VRE makes it really hard to get in touch with them (even the VA Regional switchboard doesn't have their correct phone number). Seems they are in the business of laying low and not doing anything. My group (of three!) was told by orientation guy that we wouldn 't have to wait long because three councelors did not have any interviews scheduled that day.

Should I post this in a new discussion?

- LB

Lee,

Yes, best to start your own thread with your issues.

Where are they getting all these xxxxxxxx Voc Rehab counselors? :ohmy:

First thing I'd do is complain long and hard all the way up the food chain about being talked down to, discouraged, and receiving less than deserving veteran type treatment.

This is for your own peace of mind and might even open doors like it did for AmicusBrief above.

This might be a good time to share things with the media too while the VA scandal is big (or at least hint at it to Voc Rehab supervisors).

Good luck! :smile:

I do feel for you bud, but I have to agree with the Counselor as far as you being rated so low for VA and PTSD. The VA has guidelines to go by, and as I have stated on here many times, when the well documented Disabilities are there, a Vet will win in the end, no matter how long it takes. I receive SSDI, VA 100% and my wife is my Caregiver, and I am only 32, and it still took a long time to get benefits that are supposed to be granted to Vets in bad shape like I am. God Bless you and I truly wish you the best. Good luck and keep us posted.