Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

L5-S1 Lumbar....

Rate this question

rpowell01

Question

I need some advice since I haven't been getting much help from Neuropain after telling them my Lower lumbar needs urgent attention and that they only want to work on one part of the spine at a time.

I am getting a lot of pain in the ridge of my lumbar, enough to put tears in my eyes. I now have more radiculopathy, more pain in my calves and front of the thighs.

I don't take any opiates because the VA will not give me any. I guess this is the new policy. I do take Tramadol 300mg per day and Gabapentin 3200mg per day.

Is there any thing that will help this pain. I have tried ice but it comes right back. I can't lay on my back because it gets worse. The only thing I can find that helps is to lay on my stomach.

Are there any other home treatments I can try? I know about heat which never has helped me, its always been ice that has helped but not this time.

Thanks

Rob

• Answers 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

TESTVET- I do miss that hot tub good luck finding some relief back pain sux

I would continue to use the hot tub in the cooler and winter months. Just warm the water to pool temp and use your floaties for taking the presure off the spine. I use our pool in the spring and summer and the hot tub, it's a 4 person, so if I am by myself I can float on the float tubes just like in the pool. I just don't get to paddle around. Haha

The no impact floating and stretching in the pool or (not-so hot) tub, Ice packs and yoga work for me.

The thing about the TSpine is your ribs will hold up the vertebrae so the spacing will not change much. But this will put pressure on your sternum and cause your chest muscles to hurt or have spasms/trigger points....

TENS work on some and not on others. I have one and it's only good as long as I am using it and as soon as I take it off it all comes back.

I finally had one epidural very low in my back yesterday and I will say that today my right leg is in more pain. I guess this is normal one day after the injection?

The VA pain doctor said he would issue me a TENS unit. When I didn't receive it, I called. I was told since I was a cancer survisor I shouldn't use one.

vet12

In my case the TENS is only partial relief, but it is better than nothing. I Agree when you shut it off, your pretty much back to where you started.

When people ask what it is I tell them its my own personal taser!

Never thought growing up on the farm that in the future, I would intentionally hook myself up to an electric fence!! Although I do recall setting on a rubber tractor tire with your toe hooked on the fence wire and offering a sibling a hand up was a hoot!