Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Panic Disorder With Agoraphobia

Rate this question

JeffB

Question

I currently saw this post earlier . and frosty69 said "Evaluation of PTSD and panic disorder with agoraphobia, which is currently 70% disabling is increased to 100% effective Dec 16, 2003"(i was wondering where the documentation of this was. or is it partaining to your case only ) I have been diagnosed with the same thing an am now waiting on my PEB results . To get approval to go to IDES does anyone know how long this approval takes. Im currently stationed overseas. Also How often does the PEB agree with the med board results ?

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

I currently saw this post earlier . and frosty69 said "Evaluation of PTSD and panic disorder with agoraphobia, which is currently 70% disabling is increased to 100% effective Dec 16, 2003"(i was wondering where the documentation of this was. or is it partaining to your case only ) I have been diagnosed with the same thing an am now waiting on my PEB results . To get approval to go to IDES does anyone know how long this approval takes. Im currently stationed overseas. Also How often does the PEB agree with the med board results ?

You might find helpful info at the following:

http://www.pebforum.com/site/

Ok so the panic disorder with agoraphobia started because of my PTSD symptons . do the military doctors usually rate a gaf rating higher than the VA ? im rated at about a 64 and doctors says im getting worse at each appointment .

That DX should make a person eligible for SMC "S".

A diagnosis of PTSD with agoraphobia at 100% fate entitles a Veteran to SMC S? under what provision of the law? SMC S1 is called statutory housebound and to get this additional entitlement Veteran must have 100% single disability with additional disability or disabilities of 60% or more. If you are thinking SMC S-2 Housebound in fact or SMC L1 aka Aid and Attendance that may be apply to PTSD with agoraphobia, but the requirements needed to get this additional entitlement is much higher that statutory housebound. But generally 100% PTSD does not translate to an automatic SMC grant, Veteran must demonstrate that he needs additional entitlement under SMC provisions.

Ok so the panic disorder with agoraphobia started because of my PTSD symptons . do the military doctors usually rate a gaf rating higher than the VA ? im rated at about a 64 and doctors says im getting worse at each appointment .

VA does not focus solely of GAF when they are rating or evaluating you for mental health disability because GAF is very subjective and it is dependent on person evaluating you. GAF also changes from week to week. You may have GAF score of 45 this week but 68 the following week. In fact, the use of GAF Scale has been abandoned in the 5th edition of the DSM of Mental Disorders because of, among other reasons, "its conceptual lack of clarity" and questionable psychometrics in routine practice. So I would not bank on the fact that you have low or high GAF score. VA focuses more on how your mental health condition impact both your social and occupational areas of functioning as opposed to GAF score.