Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Personality Disorder?

Rate this question

Josephine

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Just me again. I talked to the Management Center today and was told by Pearl that I would be going for another examinaton.

As you know my dishcarge code is 460 emotional Instability Reaction, but I have 42 years of medical records and have never been diagnosed or treated for a Personality Disorder.

My first Examination was with a Va. Physchologist stated that my Anxiety Disorder was more than likely started in service.

Board of two psychistrist could not agree. One stated Histronian Personality disorder Axis 2 and Axis 1 - Gneralized Anxiety Disorder.

My claims file was to return to the two of them to reconcile their differences or if the Management Center deemed another Examination. I guess that chose the new examination.

Does anyone know if there is any where on line that post test that my be given to me for a Personality Disorder. I am not trying to pull one over on them, but I am sick of all of the questions about my early discharge from service.

I was a corpman and a darn good one, but could not handle the abuse of the navy way of life. It is clear in my records that I was given librium and caffergot in service.

Librium is a tranquilisher for my nerves and Caffergot for headaches.

I went before a compentency review board to receive my early discharge and was referred by the medical team in D. C.

I am filing for 100% service connection. Have not been able to seek gainful employment since my discharge of 1964.

I filed the first time in 1978 and was turned down. Filed again in 2002 and was turned down. 2003 awarded pension for 100% disability.

I contacted the St. Louis Archives and secured my Psychiatric records and the letter from the commanding officer which lead to my discharge in 1964. Definitely not from behavior problem or any article 15's.

My claim was re-opened with new and material evidence never seen by the Va. before. It is my understanding that it is re-opened back to 1978 when the bones of my claim was in the archives, never ask for by the Va.

Thanks so much

Josephine

Edited by Josephine

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder
Josephine

I was being prescribed thorozine at the time I was discharge with a personality disorder. That is preposterous on the face of it since personality disorders don't have anxiety or severe mental symptoms. This was in the early 70's and the VA stamped many with PTSD, panic and anxiety disorders with personality disorder label to avoid payment of compensation. It was fraud and caused many a lot of grief. What is obvious is that even if you have a personality disorder a medical/emotional condition can be superimposed on it.

Thanks John999,

You are exactly right and this is what I intend to prove.

Josepine

Yeah- you can turn this around Josephine-

you CAN!

Librium- I think- is definitely prescribed for anxiety and PTSD and maybe depression too????

I do not think there is any medication known in the medical community for actually treating personality disorder-I mean there is stuff they can prescribe- but

I think this prescribed med alone is very good proof of your claim-

This is not the best link on librium- but you can see it was prescribed (when they invented it)- for many illnesses-

http://psyweb.com/Drughtm/jsp/librium.jsp

I dont see personality disorder on that list-

Josephine- I am trying to prove my husband's DMII was misdiagnosed.

The medications the VA gave him were significant as they covered up his DMII symptoms-

I pulled his Discharge certificate from a long VA hospitalization ----apart---studied every single thing on it-over and over again- especially his discharge meds-

These were not meds to treat his stroke- they were meds to treat his DMII so we would not find out he had DMII-(I hink this will be part of my newer IMO from Dr. Bash)

the diabetes damage to his heart and brain were so significant by then and the heart disease was still not diagnosed-(but they knew he had it) that VA knew if they told this vet he had diabetes, after misdiagnosing his stroke for 4 weeks-

the veteran could have filed a Sec 1151 and FTCA claim as soon as he came home here-you dont get DMII from laying in bed for a few weeks at the Syracuse VAMC.

Also- his VA care for diabetes could have become costly on top of a potential FTCA case-

they were hoping he would die-

His next med appt was 8 months from discharge-

I thought that meant they expected substantial improvement- nope-

they expected him to croak- he did-

The coroner was astonished that he did not have diagnosed diabetes-

because the end organ damage was consistent with diabetes.

He asked me 3 times-are you sure this veteran did not have diabetes?

I keep forgetting- the county coroner is a potential IMO too-

forgot to tell the ME- The Medical EXaminers office is reviewing the veteran's lab reports and autopsy again-second time in two years-

I am leaving no stone unturned but need to print this- I just remembered the coroner stuff-

that no one knows this yet.

I regret so much that you have to do this work to prove your claim-

You are looking at key ingredients to succeed on your claim-

The librium can be a critical part of it.

Good for you!

• HadIt.com Elder
Yeah- you can turn this around Josephine-

you CAN!

Librium- I think- is definitely prescribed for anxiety and PTSD and maybe depression too????

I do not think there is any medication known in the medical community for actually treating personality disorder-I mean there is stuff they can prescribe- but

I think this prescribed med alone is very good proof of your claim-

This is not the best link on librium- but you can see it was prescribed (when they invented it)- for many illnesses-

http://psyweb.com/Drughtm/jsp/librium.jsp

I dont see personality disorder on that list-

Josephine- I am trying to prove my husband's DMII was misdiagnosed.

The medications the VA gave him were significant as they covered up his DMII symptoms-

I pulled his Discharge certificate from a long VA hospitalization ----apart---studied every single thing on it-over and over again- especially his discharge meds-

These were not meds to treat his stroke- they were meds to treat his DMII so we would not find out he had DMII-(I hink this will be part of my newer IMO from Dr. Bash)

the diabetes damage to his heart and brain were so significant by then and the heart disease was still not diagnosed-(but they knew he had it) that VA knew if they told this vet he had diabetes, after misdiagnosing his stroke for 4 weeks-

the veteran could have filed a Sec 1151 and FTCA claim as soon as he came home here-you dont get DMII from laying in bed for a few weeks at the Syracuse VAMC.

Also- his VA care for diabetes could have become costly on top of a potential FTCA case-

they were hoping he would die-

His next med appt was 8 months from discharge-

I thought that meant they expected substantial improvement- nope-

they expected him to croak- he did-

The coroner was astonished that he did not have diagnosed diabetes-

because the end organ damage was consistent with diabetes.

He asked me 3 times-are you sure this veteran did not have diabetes?

I keep forgetting- the county coroner is a potential IMO too-

forgot to tell the ME- The Medical EXaminers office is reviewing the veteran's lab reports and autopsy again-second time in two years-

I am leaving no stone unturned but need to print this- I just remembered the coroner stuff-

that no one knows this yet.

I regret so much that you have to do this work to prove your claim-

You are looking at key ingredients to succeed on your claim-

The librium can be a critical part of it.

Good for you!

Berta,

Please do by almeans get the coroner reports. I am a type II Diabetic and believe me they knew it. It does not run in my family history, but I had a full blown case as your husband and also had a stroke from the A1C being so high. Do you by any chance have his A1C reading? Do you know what drugs that they gave him in the hospital? Diabetes is one illness that I am most familiar with for it almost cost me my life.

The Va has treated me so badly, that I would have to die to give up. They know this and that lady psychiatrist had just better watch out, for I have no reasons to not turn her in to The Medical Board for falsifying my private medical. When a doctor takes my reports and makes the statement that one doctor said that I was a Gravida 3 Para 3 , but I claim to have only two children. They are hitting a touchy subject with me. Yes, I conceived 3 times, but my son died at 5 months into the pregnancy. I took drugs and everything to try to carry the child, but it wasn't to be. It was in the Lord's hands not mine or the doctors. I am blessed with two lovely daughters that are alive. My medical records clearly state Gravia 3 Para 2. She did this as part of her personality disorder. She said that I beat up my husband. Trashed my home and that I denied an eating disorder and self inflicted injuries, " so she says", as I have lost 50 lbs due to the serverity of my diabetes. The examination is full of slanderous remarks and cruel remarks. Things that don't belong in a C& P examination. I was so hurt when I read what she had written about me. If the Management Center takes out all of her lies, there is no personality disorder.

I made sure that I send the BVA and the Management Center all a copy of the private medical records for them to decide how to handle this one.

Berta,

Do let me know about your husbands A1C if you have it or can get it and his list of medications.

Thanks so much for all of your support.

This site has been so kind to me.

Josephine

Edited by Josephine

Josephine,

If you know for a fact (not your own subjective feelings that she did) that your female psychiatrist falsified your records, then take her to your State Medical Board in the form of a complaint. That way where ever she works (VA, private clinic,etc) looses authority over her ability to hide within the system. Agencies and clinics are powerless when it comes to complaints to the Medical Board.

However, a hint of caution. If your female psychiatrist bases her opinion on relevant information and came to the conclusion that your Histrionic in her eyes, is based normal and customary diagnosing and training, there is nothing you can do about changing that diagnosis. The only thing you can do is have other clinicians evaluate you until the majority conclude your having anxiety problems. You still may indeed have a personality problem, but as I stated before, for rating purposes, an Axis I disorder trumps an Axis II in all cases.

Patrick

• HadIt.com Elder
Dear Josephine

The VA gave me 1 year back pay. Even though I spent 10 years in the VA and vets home and 22 years on SSDI> The St Pete VARO ruled my complaing to my VA Dr's about how corrupt the VARO was in ajudicating our claims. It was the opnion of an ajudicator that my illness manifested itself to the 100% level during that past year where I was talking about the RO.

It took 3 years more on appeals to get 6 years back pay. Im now working for the rest.

Terry Higgins

Terry,

Fight and Fight and you will suceed. I will not give up on them either. I feel so badly that my niece is supervisor of the DRO's in my state and I see what they are doing to all of the veterans.

For this I am so sorry.

Josephine

Josephine- thanks- I do have enough evidence for my claim-

and I do get 1151 DIC-

My point was how important those medical records, and medication prescriptions are-

but thanks- I think the ME has contacted the coroner recently anyhow- but I will check-

every detail that might appear meaningless in an SMR or med rec- could mean something you need-

Was your diabetes diagnosed in service?

I know that when a diabetic's electrolytes are affected due to possible dehydration, or low sugar levels-they can act very strange-

happened to a friend of mine-years ago- the Nuns-at a parochial school where we both worked- didnt know whether to call police or an ambulance-they called both-

his history was diabetes and his strange behavior was due to it.

Within a few days he returned to work and at least they knew what signs to look for if he got ill again-

Could these symptoms in a diabetic possibly be wrongly considered as a mental disorder?

Josephine the VA now recognizes eating disorders-could the VA have misdiagnosed your diabetes early on----

I am always looking for a parallel claim-

sometimes a claimant can focus on one disability that might have weak chance for service connection when they actually have potential for a stronger claim for something else-

Tried to help PD vet -no way could VA sc-no chance of any other diagnosis at all-

Found SMRs revealed severe HBP -the same vet has heart disease-

He filed a stronger claim based on his SMRs and his heart disease.

I had to re-focus on a claim that I had won years ago- in my case-

My daughter insisted I do this-I seemed to have mind set for months-didnt want to do it-

It was very difficult to read the med recs all over again-knowing what disabilities had been granted and sced already and then finding something I had never seen before-

the actual cause of Rod's problems in the first place-it was evident throughout the med recs-I had read them a hundred times-didnt know enough about DMII to see it then-but

I knew before Dr. Bash called me 2 years ago that he would diagnose the veteran with diabetes-and he did.

One thing is for sure- it does pay to have a vet rep or someone read your claims stuff-

they could see something that you cant.

We are emotionally involved with our claims-

this can give us tunnel vision- it did in my case-

we often need to see it all in a new light-

just my opinion-