Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ibs-Gerd

Rate this question

triman8654

Question

I am 10% for IBS, also have Dx of gerd.Can i file a claim for Gerd if the medicatioins i take for SC dissabilities cause or inflame the gerd.? Thanks

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

YES and I cant help but wonder if you take NSAIDS,which have been known medically and recognized (sometimes) by the VA to cause other disabilities.

The GERD, if determined to be secondary and caused by the meds for the IBS,will be rated as to the extent the VA thinks it has been caused or aggravated.

Naproxin prescibed now. was on salsate. just one of many Rx's. also in my Med chart it states Dx for allergic rhinitis(perscribed meds), then says for further info refer to my gerd problem. which i do beleive gerd can cause the Rhinitis..

I believe you can only be rated for one or the other, GERD or IBS, which ever results in the higher rating for the vet.

Otherwise pyramiding comes into play.

Yes it is true that IBS and GERD are rated together and you should be granted the higher evaluation. You can put in a claim for GERD or an increase for IBS. The increase will probably be more effective. If you have alternating constipation & diarrhea with moderate symptoms you will warrant a 30%.