Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Claim Status Question..

Rate this question

SSG Ramos

Question

So my claim is complete!

Contentions: low back pain (New), lumbar radiculopathy (New), TBI (New), Sleep Apnea (New), Tinnitus (New), Sinusitis (New), Depression (New), Insomnia (New)

Your claim is complete. A letter will be sent to you via U.S. mail formally documenting the completion of your claim. Please allow standard delivery time prior to contacting the VA call center.

Claim Received: 01/11/2012
Claim Type: Compensation
Claim Closed: 06/20/2013

The VA has sent a decision packet to you by U.S. mail. The packet includes details of the decision or award. Please allow standard mailing time for your packet to arrive before contacting a VA call center.

My case was completed in 06/20/2013 but I haven't received any letter or communication from VA. No updates in E Benefits. Ive been checking daily and nothing so far. Some guidance would be appreciated. I just want to know whats going on at this point. If I omitted any information please let me know.

• Answers 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

The delay really isn't a glitch. Depending on the efficiency of your local VARO it can be some time between the sign off of the award and the final steps putting it in the system after approved and mailed. My last grant was 45 days from decision to mailing. I had one that took 103 days.

I would predict that with the delay you have some type of grant in your package, whether it is everything you were expecting or deserve is an entirely different matter.

I know the waiting is really tough. I would recommend that when the decision comes read it (celebrate or spout profanity), then a couple of days latter pick it up and read it again slowly and carefully. I noticed I always missed small details at first because I am reading to fast.

Best regards,

The award is automatically "put in the system" when the award is completed and signed off by the authorizer. Until then, the award can go back and forth between the rater, the VSR writing the letter and processing any monetary compensation if there is some, or processing the denial or any combinaation of award. Once there is a final authorization completed, the award shows up in all the programs as completed, and the end product (tracking number) is closed if all conditions were processed, if not the tracking EP will remain until all issues have been finalized. Ebenefits is still a "work in progress" and their are "glitches", - JMO

Edited by harleyman

Yes technically it is "in the system", maybe I should have described it as final steps of promulgation or notification? To be clear are we talking about eBenefits or the actual process for claims? They are two different animals. eBenefits should be a good indicator of how well the paperless claims system is going to work/not work.

Personally, I think ebenefits is going to be a great tool for Veterans. I believe Veterans will be able to track what is going on with thier claim, what evidence is actually in thier file, and Veterans will be able to submit evidence directly into their own claims file themselves on line, instantneously.

The problem is, the VA does not yet have everyone in the VBMS paperless program. VA is working some claims in the new VBMS program but VBMS also pulls information from the "old" programs that VA is trying to replace, which in part are, "Vetsnet programs of Share, MAPD, Virtual VA, etc." so the information in ebenefits is not yet dependable and 100% accurate. But it will be, as more and more cfiles are scanned and the Veterans claims are processed in VBMS. It is going faster than VA thought possible to go paperless and they are ahead of schedule.

Right now at our RO, the ratings are being processed by the raters in the VBMS system (for the most part their are exceptions). But the decision narratives and awards part of the decision are being processed in the old Vetsnet system. Ebenefits is getting information from VBMS, but VBMS, get some information from the othr programs still being used.

Honestly, those with newer claims or first time claimants are being processed first into VBMS, those with older claims and have been in the VA system for awhile or those who have appeals are the last to be converted. There files are bigger and the paper is older and more fragile and it's taking special imaging to convert some of those cases, and more time. Ebenefits, is going to be a good thing for Veterans, but it's still a work in progress.

Edited by harleyman