Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Bdd Process

Rate this question

gtdac

Question

Greetings everyone,

I've been trolling this site for a few months and I have received a lot of good information. However, I am curious to see how long others have waited for the BDD process to finish.

For example, I submitted all my documents and medical records to the DAV in HI back in Aug. They submitted my information to the VA. Additionally, I completed all my C&P exams back in Oct 2012. E-benefits reflect my application is under review with a completion phase window of Jul - Nov 13. My last day of active duty was 28 Feb 13, with an effective retirement date of 1 Mar 13.

I understand that BDD is supposed to assist with getting certain things done prior to retirement, separating, etc. However, I was told (by my DAV rep) that this process should be completed within 120 days after retiring. Also, I understand the backlog, but I'm just curious how others are fairing in this BDD process.

R,

Glen

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I dont have personal BDD ecperience and others will chime in on that...however you said:

"I understand that BDD is supposed to assist with getting certain things done prior to retirement, separating, etc."

I assume by 'retiring' you mean you are a lifer ....

if so did the BDD program give you a good run down on CRDP and CRSC?

Glad you joined after trolling here....it is the .best place in town for VA claims help!

Berta,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes I was a lifer (23 years). The BDD process allowed me to complete my paperwork and all my C&P exams before I began terminal leave. Also, the DAV rep nor the TAP briefing did a good jobs explaining CRDP and CRSC... Is there a place within this forum that has that information?

R,

Glen

Quick update...

Talked w/Peggy today. Apparently, what ebennies reflected and what their system reflected was two different things. Oh, it gets better... The person that assisted me was thorough in that they looked at my file asked me a few (good) questions and realized there was a problem. The person on the phone was concerned that my BDD packaged had not received the proper traction...wow! End result was an inquiry being sent to the RO in Utah... Hopefully when they call it will be good news...

Still in the fight... :-)

Geez, sounds like a big snafa...hopefully it will get squared away.... sooner than later.

Sorry I missed your question here:

"Berta,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes I was a lifer (23 years). The BDD process allowed me to complete my paperwork and all my C&P exams before I began terminal leave. Also, the DAV rep nor the TAP briefing did a good jobs explaining CRDP and CRSC... Is there a place within this forum that has that information?

R,

Glen”

I wish the Mil would give retirees a hand out on these two programs that could affect them:

Or give them our hadit web site address.

http://www.dfas.mil/retiredmilitary/disability/payment.html

and the links on the left of this page are good too. I just posted the CRSC CRDP chart here a few days ago.

It should be at that link as well.

23 YEARS! Thank You for your service!!!!!!

We have some CRDPers and CRSCers here too.

Team,
I mentioned that I contacted Peggy last week and she placed an IRIS inquiry. Here is the VA's reply (in short, hurry up and wait):
Dear Mr. Collins:
Our records show your claim for service-connected compensation disability compensation benefits is open and we are working hard to complete your claim as soon as possible.
The Salt Lake City VA Regional Office is aggressively implementing a nationwide VA special initiative to quickly decide the oldest claims in the inventory. This initiative will accelerate the elimination of the backlog for these Veterans and is part of VA’s overall strategy to eliminate the claims backlog in 2015. VA has directed its regional offices to provide provisional decisions to Veterans who have been waiting the longest, which will allow Veterans to begin collecting compensation benefits immediately, if eligible. These provisional decisions will be based on the evidence already available to VA and the Veteran will be given additional time to submit evidence or request further assistance from VA. The claims that are considered “ready-to-rate” will be given final decisions. In all cases, VA will continue to make sure that applicable service personnel and treatment records are available and that VA examination results are obtained if required. While engaged in this special initiative, VA will continue to prioritize Veterans who are homeless, terminally ill, former Prisoners of War, and Medal of Honor recipients, those facing financial hardship and our most seriously injured in addition to Fully Developed Claims.
To support this special initiative and increase the production of VA compensation claims decisions, VA is exercising its option to mandate overtime for VA employees who process disability claims to work a minimum of 20 hours of overtime a month through the end of Fiscal Year 2013. The additional overtime hours that will be worked during this period of mandatory overtime will be used to help eliminate the backlog. The emphasis will be on backlogged claims, high-priority claims like Fully Developed Claims (FDC), special-interest claims (homeless, hardship, former prisoner of war, terminal, etc.), and claims older than one year.
A thorough review of your file will be conducted to ascertain whether or not additional information/evidence is needed, if anything additional is needed you will be contacted. Once all the evidence needed to support your claim has been received, the claim will be forwarded for decision. During this phase of the claims process (the Decision Phase), a representative will review all the submitted evidence and will make a determination as to any eligibility to VA benefits, based on that evidence. Once a decision is made, the claim will be forwarded for final review, where the decision will be reviewed for accuracy. If the decision is approved, you will receive written notification of the decision via U.S. mail. If additional action is needed to complete the claim, it will be forwarded to the applicable department for attention, and then returned for decision once the appropriate action has been taken.
It is important to note, the length of time it takes to complete an individual claim depends on several factors, such as the type of claim filed, complexity of your disabilities, the number of disabilities you claim, and the availability of evidence.
Will get there soon enough!
Glen

That is a canned reply. Stating they are busy working on the back log and will get to your claim in due time. - Sorry but they are busy trying to get all claims processed with a rating decision with a date of claim from 7/1/11 thorugh 11/31/12 completed so they can move on to the next priority. Claims 1 year to six months old is my guess although not official, yet.

At my RO I cannot work a claim prior to 11/30/212. And my daily work production accountability computer worksheets are monitored by Coporate Offices in D.C. BDD claims used to be a priority, but now they are processed in with the regular non priority claims. Hang in there it won't be too much longer. The BDD claims could/might be picked up for processing right after the end of the fiscal year when the over one year olds are completed. Not sure the over one year old's will be done by then, but the Coporate Offices sure think they will, or at least that is the BIG PUSH on all VA employees right now.

Edited by harleyman