Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Chronic Condition Within One Year

Rate this question

hayneswc

Question

I am in the process of filing an appeal and noticed a post that Berta made in reference to chronic conditions within one year. Here is my story: I seperated from the Air Force in June 2004 on a maternity and childbirth discharge.

At the time of discharge I was considered a high risk pregnancy due to preeclampsia so I opted to continue my treatment at the Bethsda Naval Hospital and eventally had my son via emergency c-section due to the preeclampsia in July 2004.

I filed a claim for adhesions as a result of the c-cestion and was denied service connection since I had already seperated. Since the C-section I have had several surgeries to try to take down the adhesions that had my uterus completely adhered to my abdominal wall and to my bladder. I suffered from debiliating pain for years and eventually opted for a total hysterectomy. The VA examiner determined that the c-section WAS the cause of the adhesions but again because I wasn't active duty at the time it wasn't service connected. Here is my issue, I am in the process of filing an appeal in which my VSO told me to get a nexus letter from my doctor stating that the adhesions were a chronic condition that manifested within on year of discharge.

I didn't think that adhesions were one of the chronic conditions that could be claimed. I also talked to another veteran that previously worked for the VA and was told that I should try to link the preeclampia to the need for the c-section. I'm not sure which route to go or if I can tell the VA both. Any advice and suggestions are needed. Thanks

• Answers 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

hi there! Lemme see if i got this.....First, the preeclampsia is a condition that only occurs in the 2nd to 3rd trimester of pregnancy...you were diagnosed with preclampsia & left service in June 2004, giving birth to your baby in July, so you were already in your 3rd trimester then....well & good. Now, u said the doctor stated your adhesions were DUE TO the C-section, & adhesions were still present in 2005 a year later.

Chronic conditions mean that they appear in service & then have some kind of continuity (opposite of acute & transitory, like a sore throat). Now, you were separated in 2004 & preclampsia only occurs during pregnancy & the post-partum period, so you can't claim just that. I'm thinking the best route to go is to get an opinion stating that the preeclampsia diagnosed in service led to the C-section which led to the present complications. If you can get that chain of events from a doc, it should help.

The adhesions generally would not have occured if a C-section was not necessary. So we have a surgical proceedure done after seperation that has caused a chronic condition. Medically, we know that Adhesions were not a chronic condition during service, because they were caused by the c-section. The C-section was the result of a pregnancy which is not a service connectable condition because it is not a dissability for VA compensation purposes. Preeclampsia is an Acute condition that is triggered in some people due to pregnancy. I would think unless you have a Medical nexus that your preeclampsia was the cause of your C-section you will not be able to get the adhesions SC. If the preeclampsia did cause the C-section than the C section side effects would be SC (any scar problems, adheasions, and hysterectomy).

You have verified your ETS date? Was it possible you were on terminal/convelescent leave for that last month?