Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Aglass - New Member - Help Please

Rate this question

aglass

Question

hello,

I am a caregiver. My son recently returned from multiple deploys. oif/oaf He had sustained 2 blasts 2011 and 3 blasts 2012. He was not evaled until there were problems . He was a malfunctioning unit by the time he was sent to Medical. He is not able to remember much, all stories are from others accounts- I got the after-action reports on some. sadly his battle buddies were KIA- or suicides with in months of the unit return ( I think this really speaks to what this unit went through-no one left)-he will show me a pictures and say that guy killed himself, again and again person after person. He is not able to follow through, nor is able to help himself. It is clear to me the Army took advantage of his condition and just released him. He should have been medically discharged with a care plan. Had I done this to any of my clients I'd be spending my life in jail.

II am trying to get the VA to do neuro testing, as well as create an individual care plan for recovery. He forgets names, names of things all you guys know - he talks around it until I find the name of the item. For example a parking meter- he said the tingamabob that you put pennies in.

My concerns are that with out my help with even day to day activities, self care he would not be able to survive on his own.

He is able to do stimulous response type interactions with others. He will use standard responds to questions, then he gets acting weird. We have to go with him everywhere, as he gets lost in his own tiny hometown. He uses GPS to find home, but when the battery runs out he might come home with no shoes clothing all torn up and no idea where he was or where his shoes are. He reported he got lost in the woods.

He report headaches, is dizzy all of the time, will trip. He can not drive alone as he might drive over the lines or stay at a stop light long after it turns green. I am constantly redirecting him.

My greatest fear is he will begin to resent my involvement.

He is far worse on meds. He can not remember taking them or will repeat actions. Thus I am now putting my life on hold. He has been ok with my interventions so far. I am a former Sped teacher ( special education dealing with children with learning and physical disabilities, and thus am far more aware of disabilities). This was a gifted ( tested into the gifted programs in kinder) and self directed guy- now a functional child.

We are very worried that any interaction with other vets puts him in a mood. He has physical reaction and changes in behavior with social events with veterans. He will stay up for days after any encounter.

He reports no feelings about others "I just don't give a @#$% anymore."

He will follow others, if they are drinking sports drinks he drinks sports drinks, if they are drinking booze he will drink booze. He shows no interest in anything at all. He will go out with us if we actively engage him. Otherwise he is in bed.

I am trying to get the VA to interact with me so I can help him do things that will help him work with his memory, his lack of ability to make decisions. ( he actually spent three hours trying to decide between two plants. ( I finally had to make the decision for him. Day to day self care.

All the posts report some ct stuff, and he had MR but a year after just when they were discharging him. It shows nothing- just as I suspected. How do I get the VA to realize he is currently unable to do any kind of work. He is not able to take care of himself.?

thank you for your kind attention.

aglass

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

As your son is a post 9-11 veteran, you might be eligible for help from the VA Caregiver Program:

http://www.caregiver.va.gov/support_landing.asp

What is his formal diagnosis and does he receive VA Compensation?

It appears he might have claimed a TBI.....cant tell here.

Was he injured in those blasts? Was he knocked unconscious by the blasts ?

“I think this really speaks to what this unit went through-no one left “

Can you tell us the whole designation of his unit?

Did he claim PTSD?

The new criteria for PTSD is here in our PTSD forum.

“He should have been medically discharged with a care plan. “

Does he have a complete copy of his SMRs?

“How do I get the VA to realize he is currently unable to do any kind of work. He is not able to take care of himself.? “

Definitely have him apply for Social Security Disability. If the SSA finds him unable to work solely for service connected conditions, this would be good evidence for TDIU, explained here in the TDIU forum and paid at 100% compensation rate.

However, he needs to have the VA decide service connection before a SSA award will help get TDIU ,the Total Individual Unemployability Benefit.

“All the posts report some ct stuff, and he had MR but a year after just when they were discharging him. It shows nothing- just as I “...........

Was the CT and MRI done because he had claimed TBI?

What diagnoses has he been given meds for?

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

Also , when was his discharge?

Was he discharged through the Medical Evaluation Board or becuase he completed his tour of duty?

Has he filed a claim for benefits for compensaation or pension?

Has he gone to any VA Medical Center for treatment?

Sorry for all the questions, but it sounds like your son and you need some help. If you can answer all the question as best as you can, the Hadit members will do their best to get you going in the right direction to help you both.

Edited by harleyman