Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Psychology C&p Exam Consult Progress Notes

Rate this question

mekon1971

Question

This was in my records, but I was unaware of it till I got a copy of my records.

Medical Opinion 1, Disability Benefits Questionaire

1. Definitions

2. Restatement of requested opinion:

a. insert requested opinion from general remarks:

Are there sleep disturbances or neuropsychological conditions consistent with undiagnosed illness or unexplained chronic multi-system illness related to service in the Middle East?

3. Evidence review

Was the Veteran's VA claims file reviewed? YES

4. Medical opinion for direct service connection

b. <X> The claimed condition was less likely than not (less than 50 percent probability) incurred in or caused by the claimed in-service injury, event, or illness. Provide rationale in section c.

c. Rationale: The Veteran was evaluated on 7/25/12 and a service connected diagnosis of PTSD was made at that time. That diagnosis along with his resolving alcohol dependence account for his psychiatric symptoms. He had no memory complaints, and only mild attention complaints consistent with those observed in PTSD (and are in fact a criteria of PTSD). His sleep complains are consistent with and explained by PTSD and sleep apnea. He did report mild anergia and amotivation, but these are best accounted for as secondary to PTSD and sleep apnea. There is no evidence of unexplained psychiatric illness or symptoms.

//signed Staff Psychologist 12/12/2012

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

If you can find a Doc to link your PTSD to service that could help. The Doc shafted you with the less than likely under 50% statement.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

This could be a psychological examination for sleep disturbances, I am wondering if this is related to how you my have filed a claim for sleep apnea. Without seeing the exam request it is difficult to know if the exam request was for mental, sleep apnea, or just psy disturbances or to examine you for a claim for undiagnosed illness fron the gulr region.

I had posted on this earlier but deleted the previous posting as I did not have enough information from the exam findings alone. We need the request or an addendum opinion to be sure what is going on here.

Edited by harleyman

On another tread in Hadit you posted your claimed conditions. The C&P exam here is for this claim.

"sleep disturbances (also claimed as nightmares with frequent waking and insomnia) due to GW undiagnosed illness (New)"

,Medical opinion for direct service connection

b. <X> The claimed condition was less likely than not (less than 50 percent probability) incurred in or caused by the claimed in-service injury, event, or illness. Provide rationale in section c.

This claim is a denial of sleep disturbances due to GW UNDIAGNOSED ILLNESS. As Pete53 stated the doc was not so kind to you, although he did state he believed you have PTSD so that is supportive of your PTSD claim. But undianosed illness is denied, and sleep disturbance will be included as a symptom of your PTSD and wil not be separately rated.

Edited by harleyman

On the other hand, if the psychologist had said that the sleep problems, mild attention problems, mild anergia (low energy), and amotivation (lack of motivation) were due to undiagnosed undiagnosed illness or unexplained chronic multi-system illness caused by exposure to toxins during the Gulf War, those symptoms might have then been 'subtracted' from the PTSD symptom list, and he could end up not receiving a service connection for PTSD.

~ Joey

PhD psychologist - worked as a VA C&P examiner - want to give back to you guys (and gals), because my kids get to grow up in a free country thanks to your sacrifices. I couldn't serve myself (medical) but many in my family have. Utmost respect for vets!