Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Apportionment Claims Demise

Rate this question

harleyman

Question

To Hadit members, obviously anytime someone posts anything, it can be interpreted by someone else, differently than it was the posters intention. I hope you all understand that my intensions are to give the members information on the goings on within a typical Regional Office and how a Veteran's claim may be processed.

I hope you take this information with the goodwill it is intended to bring to all Veteran's waiting for a decision on their claim. Please know, I am simply a messenger and I do not have any control over the mandates or guidelines VA uses to process a claim. ( I do my job as I am directed to do ). I hope my posts here on Hadit offer an insight or perspective regarding the claims processing from an insider’s point of view. I by no means have all the answers to claims processing, and I ask that you continue to trust the Hadit members, who have years and years of dealing with Veteran's and their claims within the VA system, for both grants and denials and the Appeals process.

That being said, I would like to also provide you with some more information that was disseminated from General Allision Hickey's visit at our RO's recent seminar.

According to the information received, there is a plan or process in progress to eliminate the APPORTIONMENT program at the VA. VA is trying to get out of making decisions with regard to claims for apportionment.

Personally, I think the following is a giant step in the right direction. VA VSRs should not be deciding who get what from a Veteran's earned VA disability. This is a decision that should be handled in a court of law, not by a GS 7 to GS 13, VA employee. Furthermore, I personally, don't believe a Veteran's disability should ever be apportioned without his consent - JMHO

Edited by harleyman

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

I totally agree Harleyman! I have been trying to to get answers on the apportionment they are taking out of my benefits for a daughter that is living with me. Who has been living with me for 10 years now.

Harleyman - as always, a big thanks!!!

pr

my pleasure!

I totally agree Harleyman! I have been trying to to get answers on the apportionment they are taking out of my benefits for a daughter that is living with me. Who has been living with me for 10 years now.

There is no reasoning I can think of that would require you to pay out an apportionment for a child that lives with you, if you have the documentation to show the child lives with you and your child is a monor child. I would diffinatey send in a VA form 21-686c showing the childs information and current address (yours) and a request n writing stop the apportionament. Then send an IRIS request asking to speak with a VSR or supervior who can tell you what is necessary to stop the apportionment. I will do some checking tomorrow and see if I can find out more information for you.- harleyman

Edited by harleyman

@Harleyman-I sent documentation, filled all the forms twice. Not mention that my daughter turned 18 in jan 2013 and just started college this August. I sent school records, copy of her license, ChampVA letters to my daughter with our address. We live in Alabama and her mom lives in Augusta Ga and works for the VA as a manager. Which I have told the that and given her address in Augusta. Not to mention they are taking 300 a month from me and paying me as Veteran Alone. I have asked to explain this apportionment and why it wouldn't be Veteran with child but have made no headway in getting any answers. I have sent 4 iRIS over the past 6 weeks with no response. I called and set up a call back talked with a lady who told me that she will pass my request to appropriate RO. She told me it appears that it is awaiting approval. I asked how long will that take she it could take six months. Is this not the most ridiculous system? I worked in personnel in the military and dependent changes didn't take long at all. I also worked with the Discharged Review Program in St Louis from 1977 to 1981. I was there when it started, we were setup in an old store before moving downtown?