Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Muliple Foot Injuries - Only Rated For Arthritis

Rate this question

SixtyTwoF

Question

I do not know if I have any right to a CUE, or any sort of review, so forgive me if I have posted in the wrong forum in error.

I will give a history and wait for comment:

April 1992 - Enlist.

May 1993 - x-ray for ankle spain. No damage to the foot or ankle is observed. Tendon calcification is noted.

23 Jan 1994 - In Service accident:

• Dislocation of ankle (set)
  • Broken tibia (plate and screws)
  • Crushed/fractured 4th and 5th metatarsal (5th was open facture)
  • Closed head injury (staples, stitches and scars)
  • Scars

18 Feb 1994 - Hospital discharge paperwork only mentions the above.

While in-service recovering I had multiple operations, casting, x-rays, and Physical Therapy.

31 Mar 1994 - X-Ray states that a healed fracture of the calcaneus (heal bone) is noted. This is only one of two times it is mentioned in my medical records.

17 May 1994 - Xray mentions healed calcaneus. Missed or closed reductoin that is never mentioned in medial records.

Aug 1995 - Discharge and rated 10% disabled for arthritis. This was verified today with my VA DSO.

2013 - Spent 18 years thinking that getting 10% for my ankle was good. Then looked through medical paperwork in preparation of seeing a private doctor to consult on the possible realignment of Stevens Type III calcaneus malunion and realised that my deformed ankle was never taken into account in my rating. Nor was my range of motion in 4 angles (poor), Poor weight bearing position, malunion, and other moderate foot injuries.

I will try to describe the state of my heel and ankle. The rest of the damage is as imagined:

My heel is at an angle all the time. Trying to use my leg muscles I can put my heel in a straight up an down possition, but this is as far as I can go, and it is not the relaxed possition. Doing this also raises my toes into an unnatural possition. the heel and the pad are off-set from center by about 10 degrees. This causes me to partially stand on the side of my heel. The joint and heel are very wide and make wearing some shoes difficult. There is a scar on the bottom of my heel that can be painful after a long time on my feet.

I know we are not medical experts, but if the radiologists stated I had a broken calcaneus/heel why would the doctor not mention it? Could this be a reason to open a claim? lastly, if I get private work done would that destroy my chances of getting a higher percentage? finally Is chasing this even worth it?

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

“ BTW, you may want to edit your post. I think you pasted your text 4 times! “

I have been having trouble with my PC modem satelitte …...I think a UFO ran into it.

Sorry about that,

someone will chime in with your questions.....seriously I need to reboot as soon as the satellite people upgrade their stuff in outer space.A pop up tells me when they need to degrade their system.

This is the brand new multimillion dollar Gen 4 satelitte over the Gulf of Mexico and I am on Beam 25. I guess it It has a screw loose.

or the Gulf is having very bad weather..... sorry when that happens.

Berta, I hope you got your satellites aligned.

I still have a few questions. (please see my previous post for more info):

- Do I reopen the Claim and add-in the other injuries in the same re-opened claim? Or, do I re-open the claim and open a completely new claim(s) for the other injuries? Either way, I do not know if they were originally claimed and denied or if they were just ignored. Could I even start without knowing that?

- On this point, how do I re-open the claim? Is there a site or form for this? This would not be a FDC (Fully Developed Claim) would it? This seems to only allow claim back to the point that I submit the claim.

- Should I request my C-File from the Raleigh, NC VARO even though I was discharged and had the initial claim in California?

Thanks!