Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Base Previlege Id Card Expiration?

USMC/AF RET.

Question

I'm trying to help a friend's spouse who is recieving DIC. Her base previlege ID card is expiring in Jan 2014. Does she needs to write the VARO to get a letter again, or she just need to renew her ID card?

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

I'm trying to help a friend's spouse who is recieving DIC. Her base previlege ID card is expiring in Jan 2014. Does she needs to write the VARO to get a letter again, or she just need to renew her ID card?

I could be wrong but your question puzzles me. If she's your friends's spouse, she shouldn't be receiving DIC. If you misspoke and she's your late friend's widow, she will probably just need her DIC award letter. I believe a widow loses DIC, when she remarries, except after a certain age, when she's allowed to continue to collect it, in spite of the remarriage.

It would be crazy for a widow to remarry, due to the loss of benefits. jmo

pr

If you mean the DEERS card this might help:

http://www.military.com/spouse/military-life/military-resources/military-dependent-id-cards.html

Philip made a good point:

It seems the DEERS criteria is different than the VA's regarding a surviving spouse.

In the DIC criteria it states:

“Note: A surviving spouse who remarries on or after December 16, 2003, and on or after attaining age 57, is entitled to continue to receive DIC. “

http://www.military.com/benefits/survivor-benefits/dependency-and-indemnity-compensation.html

It is possible that this widow? Spouse? gets SBP in lieu of DIC.

I dont know if widows who remarry after age 57 under SBP can retain that benefit.

Maybe others here will chime in on that.