Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Vocational Rehab Appointment Results

Rate this question

elcamino_77us

Question

I had my appointment today with the Counsler. She mentioned that I looked familiar inwhich I replied that I had met with her three years ago. After discussing my case in detail, which included that I was a term civil service enployee and that my term would be up in ten months. She informed me that she would have to denie my claim but that I could come back in ten months and reopen it as there were some problems in my case that had to be addressed. First was that my twelve year window had long past. I asked her why as I was finally rated back in 2008. She stated that they apparently had back dated my eligibility date back to Nov 95 when I was discharged. The other part was that since my knee surgery this past July has kept me in a state of limited duty, it would look as if my employer was providing accommodations for my disabilities. However, I told her that within the next two weeks I was due to come off the light duty status. With that, she stated that she would leave my case in limbo so that I may submitt the new paperwork once the doctors release me back to full duty. She also wanted a copy of my notice letter stating that my term had been renewed for the last year and conclude in Sept to support my claim. Once she gets all of this she'll be able to help me.

I believe that she is truly trying to help me. However, when the VA finally determined my case, they backdated my disability to my discharge date which in turn, left me without any eligibility. This was why I was denied three years ago. I don't see how they can get away with that type of behaviour.

Thanks Bill

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

I worked with a veteran that was 100% P/T for depression w/anxiety disorder who was accepted into the VOC REHAB program. He lasted about 5 months before he dropped out due to not being able to "handle it"

personally, I don't believe any veteran that is 100 % PT should be able to enroll in this program. I wonder what the stats are for these veterans that fail to complete their course of instruction.

Heck - I sure did not even know that a SC'd vet that was currently employed

would be eligible for voc rehab. Seems kind of weird to me.

JMHO

I understand where you are coming from, that's not a problem. However, let me give you an insight.

Before I went into the Marines, I was a trained musician as well as a entry level auto mechanic. While in service I lost part of my hearing, injured both knees and ended up with degenertive arthritis of the spine (DDD) along with a few other things. The hearing loss ended my military career so I burshed up on my automotive skills before I got out. By the time I did get out, my other injuries had started to kick in. I've had to work in a field that has been determental to my health because of my military injuries to provide for my family. I've had three surgeries in less than two years and require two more due to my injuries. For the past 38 months, I've work for the Marine Corps as a heavy mobile equipment mechanic. However I've spent the past three months on light duty. Being honest, I work with a really good bunch of guys, most vets, some not. They know that I have no problems pulling my weight however, there are phyical requirements that I simply cannot do because of my disabilities. The guys I work with understand this and make accommodations for me. As I said, I work and I do a good job, but I'm also a realist. I realise that once my Term is up, I will no longer be able to contine in this line of work. The skills I learned in my youth will no longer allow me to put food on my table and provide for my family. That would require me to be retrained into another line of work that does not interfer with my injuries/disibilities. I'm the type that would rather fix the problem now and not have to wait untill I'm unemployed trying to provide for my family.

I hope this gives you an insight into why I would want to go ahead and participate in Voc Rehab. Also from what I've read, somewhere around 42% of the Vets who qualified for Voc Rehab were employed at the time of their acceptance.

Thanks Bill