Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C-File Not Complete

Rate this question

63SIERRA

Question

I requested a copy of my c-file several months after rating for kidney removal due to kidney cancer . there was nothing in my c-file at all abt my kidney surgery. why would this be ? the files were in my med recs at the local vamc, which I have copies of.

• Answers 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Sierra,

Again -- did they list those records as evidence on that decision? They might have just accessed them digitally.

Edited by free_spirit_etc
Think Outside the Box!

Sierra,

I am not seeing that as huge growth between 2003 and 2011. The 2003 report just states 5 cm -- so it would be 5 cm at the largest dimension. So if it was spherical, it would be approximately 5 cm all the way around. Something that is 5 X 6 X 7 is not a whole lot bigger than 5 x 5 x 5. Granted, it is somewhat bigger. 7 cm is 3/4 of an inch larger than 5 cm. But 3/4 inch is not much growth over a period of eight years.

There is an article on kidney cysts that tells you a little about them. http://www.kidneycancerinstitute.com/kidney-cyst.html They can generally tell if the are cancerous or not by their appearance. They are also fairly common. So it is possible the tumor and the cyst might not be the same growth.

I agree they should have told you about the cyst. And you can certainly ask the doctor about it. But if it is the same growth it would be a very slow growing tumor.

Also the ct scan that is in my file right before they did surgery said the growth on my kidney was 5 centimeters, by 6 centimenters. by 7 centimeters. so how much it grew, from 2003 when they initially found it and ignored it, until 2011 when they removed it, is a mystery to me. But 5 centimeters is no spot, or tiny nodule or calcium ball that they should have dismissed. Im just in awe over this, and dont know what to do, since I have 3 claims pending. furthermore, they didnt pay me 100 for the kidney cancer at all, or the adrenal cancer. which is the same law as kindey., because its part of the endocrine system. 38 cfr says they should have paid me at the 100 percent rate, from the time they found it, till 6 months after treatment was over. I got 30 percent backdated to july 2012. I file my claim for kidney cancer oct 30 2011 had surgery july 31 2011 . it is just out of control. crazy.

Think Outside the Box!

"I recall someone on this site speaking of a 5150 claim or tort claim or something likel that .as I understand it u cant file a suit against the govt without first filing a claim. I just cannot think of any excuse they could give me, as to why they did not inform me of the finding on my kidney in 2003, and never routinely checked it after finding it, or track measurements or whatever. after the did the ct scan on 2011 they said they were quite sure it was cancer. so evidently they can see something with the machines, why couldnt they see it in 2003, or later on before the cancer had infested my adrenal gland and vein. ? Am I overeacting here?"

It would be hard to tell if you were overreacting without knowing more details. You can have a doctor look at the records and see what they think. But even if they were monitoring it, it seems like it was growing slowly or stable for quite some time - based on the size difference in 8 years. My husband had lung cancer and they didn't monitor him very closely until the cancer was redetected. They referenced growths which appeared to be stable and were not of concern in a couple of his reports.

Think Outside the Box!

It was too much of a surprize to the doctors when it was incidentally found on ultrasound, when they called they didnt say. Sir the cyst that has been growing on your kidney seems to have gotten larger, and looks cancerous, come in so we can take a better look at it on ultrasound. and keep in mind, we are talking CENTIMETERS here, not milimeters. thats almost as large as the kidney itself. I dont think its just everyday, routine to find a 5 centimeter cycst on a human vital organ, who they already knew had a disease that makde kidney cancer likely, to just dismiss the finding. An attorney will have to tell me different .. Im abt tired of farting around with these goons, as soon as I get my descision on my refiled claims, Im going to consult with an attorney,

FREE as far as your question abt what they referenced in my descision, they didnt even mention the cancer, they just said 30 percent for removal of kidney,.. period,.

Edited by 63SIERRA

And the fact that they never told me abt this large cyst, that may have been cancerous at the time, because they never biopsyed it, makes me even more suspect that someone dropped the ball.

look at the big picture, how did it progress from a 5 centimeter cysts that they evidenty thought was cancer free, to a 7 mm,x 6mmx 5 mm cancerous growth, that also consumed my adrenal gland, and some of my adrenal vein , if they were tracking it.? Im not buying it.

I dont think protocol is to make findings of that nature, then just wait, until it becomes full blown cancer, attacking several organs, and the procedure becomes life threatening/ . If that is how far medical technology has come, we are screwed.

Edited by 63SIERRA

basically since 2003 ive been to the va hundreds of times, for many health problems, so they had accessability to me on a moments notice. I live 42 miles from the vamc. theres no excuse for them not knowing abt this cancer earlier. once a year at least, they should have ct scanned that growth. AM I NOT WORTH THAT? IS THAT THE BLUE RIBBON HEALTH CARE THAT IS THE BEST IN THE WORLD. ?