Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Stressor Letter Va Form21-0781

Rate this question

usdart

Question

In may 1970 my Unit was moved to the Central Highlands to fire support for Operation Rock Crusher inside Cambodia.
On one night I was assigned Guard Duty on the Burm near the Ammo Dump. Late that night about 1100 I heard noises in the tree line about 75 yards from my position. I made myself quiet and listened as hard as I could. I decided to report this to Fire Direction Control immediately. They told me not to fire at all so I did as told. Later that night ALL Hell broke loose. Motars and small arms fire was everywhere and I was scared to death. After the everthing calmed down a bit I realized I had
been hit in the hand so I went to the Medics. There were several severly wonded soldiers there so I
was abit ashamed. The Medic pulled out a Ledger and asked me if I wanted a Purple Heart. I said no thank you,That is for real wounds. He wrapped it up and I went to the pit to help break out
ammunition for the Guns. That's when it hit me like a rock,

THIS WAS ALL MY FAULT!

I should havebeen more insistant on someone verifying what I heard and saw on Guard Duty. All these injuries could have been avoided if I had done the right thing. I felt so bad that I don't remember much ofthe next day or so. I do remeber Burial Detail the next day! We put all the bodies in a ditch,dumped diesel oil on them and burned them. My God what a terrible thing to do! Why did we not turn the bodies over to the Locals? When the smell of the burning bodies hit me I started pukeing and ranback to my bunker. What a horrible way to treat humans. What must the Vietnamese think of GI's who do this? It can't be right but, I keep my mouth shut because I am not in charge. Turns out the enemy had tied themslves up in the trees to call in Mortar on our unit. They had Comm wire from the trees and were well suitd to attack us. All of this could have been prevented if I had spoke up more than I did. This is ALL my fault, and no one is going to convince me otherwise!

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

I spent 5 years in OIF/OEF and buried too many young guys and gals. I seemed to worry more about that, then the fact that I was exposed to so much fire. Remembering all those sad faces, it was seems to eat at me. Sorry you had to go thru so much. God bless and wish you the best on your claim. Hope you have a safe weekend, and keep us up to date.

100% PTSD

100% Back

60% Bladder Issues

50% Migraines 
30% Crohn's Disease

30% R Shoulder

20% Radiculopathy, Left lower    10% Radiculopathy, Right lower 
10% L Knee  10% R Knee Surgery 2005&2007
10% Asthma
10% Tinnitus
10% Damage of Cranial Nerve II

10% Scars

SMC S

SMC K

OEF/OIF VET     100% VA P&T, Post 911 Caregiver, SSDI

That is one down, two to go. I know when we did one of my husbands it was also regarding one of his recurring nightmares. That may also help you get into writing it down. You can claim how you wake up all sweaty disoriented and afraid to go back to sleep, because you do not want the nightmares to start all over again.

I have two written down and I have the effects on my personal and work life done.

Now I have to go through my health records and copy the Shrinks report of mu SC to PTSD and the link she made to my nightmares etc.