Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

New Veteran Worried My Claim Isn't Being Done Correctly

Rate this question

iroberts

Question

Hello everyone,

I've been lurking here for a while but decided to finally post. I was medically retired from the USAF with a SC of 10% (10% for the VA and 60% for the DOD retirement) in 2010. My disability is an eye disease (retinitis pigmentosa) and I have noticed it has gotten worse over the last few years.

I contacted the Blinded Veterans Association to see if they could help me navigate the VA and see about getting an increase. Despite a few hiccups (not receiving phone calls or emails back for weeks at a time) they have been generally helpful.

However after reading these forums I'm not sure if everything was done correctly. The BVA had me start the claims process (I think the online 526 form) in November 2013 (starting it but not submitting it). Shortly after that the claim was submitted on December 3rd 2013. Later on that month I was scheduled for some eye exams at the VA hospital here (December 29th). Everyone there (the techs, ophthalmologist, VIST coordinator, etc.) said I should definitely be much higher than 10% since much of my vision is missing as shown by my field of vision tests.

I have since learned that the supposedly this medical data is in the system and that it would be part of my claim. However I can find no evidence of this.

When I go to view my "submitted applications" all I can see is the original 526 that was submitted on December 3rd. There's even a box checked on the form that says "I DO NOT want my claim considered for rapid processing under the FDC Program because I plan to submit further evidence in

support of my claim." This makes sense since it's from December 3rd, which is 23 days before I had my eye exams. But it still seems strange.
I asked the BVA and they seem to think that everything is fine and dandy but I can't tell if they're just placating me or perhaps they know things I don't know. After numerous emails asking whether or not the most recent eye exams were in my claim I was told "I just talked to Joseph in Atlanta. He said all the ophthalmology records needed were in your health care records from Bay Pines and that is stated on the claim." But I personally can't find any actual evidence of this.
The most recent email back from the BVA stated the following: "I am hoping they process your claim as fully developed and use those records [the December 29th eye exams]. In that case the claim should be completed in the next couple weeks. If we submit anything else the VA will pull the claim out of the fully developed claim process and then it will take a lot longer."
I honestly can't tell what is going on with my claim. It seems like everyone wants me to just sit back, relax, and hope for the best but I wanted to get everyone else's opinion here first since you guys are the experts!
Phew... sorry for the long post. Thank you!

Got a response from IRIS today:

Dear Mr. Roberts:

This is in response to your recent inquiry to the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) dated March 10, 2014.

Thank you for your service to our nation.

We apologize for the delay in responding to your inquiry. We are currently experiencing a high volume of inquiries, and are working as quickly as possible to respond to each in a timely manner.

Your claim for increase is currently in the development phase of processing. This phase is where we gather all the evidence we need in order to make a decision on your claim. We will review your claim and inform you of any additional information that is needed.

Currently claims at the St. Petersburg Regional Office, are taking about eight months to complete. Please understand that these timeframes are only averages, and that your claim may take longer based on the specifics of your claim and VA's pending workload.

Thank you for contacting us. If you have questions or need additional help with the information in our reply, please respond to this message or see our other contact information below.

Sincerely yours,

C. Boyd

National IRIS Response Center Manager

ggj

---------------------------------------------

Does the "development phase" mean the same thing as "under review" (ebenefits)?