Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

My Healthevet And Ptsd Claim

Rate this question

Boxkicker43

Question

I have a question in regards to accessing my VA medical records on the Healthevet website. I turned in the necessary paperwork to the local VA clinic to have them give access to my online medical record. How long does this take to go into effect? Is this something the local office can update immediately or does it go to a regional office? Once I have access do I click on the Blue button to get the information I need. I need to post information on the forum so I can get opinions on my PTSD claim. I received my rating decision back today and their decision makes no sense. Here is the back story:

I retired from the Air Force in Oct 2012, At that time I did not file a claim for PTSD. I did however file a claim for insomnia. I received my rating decision in Jul 2013 and was rated 10% for primary insomnia with a diagnosis of neurosis. In order to warrant a higher percentage of 30% I would have to have occupational and social impairment with occasional decrease in work efficiency and intermittent periods of inability to perform occupational tasks (although generally functioning satisfactorily, with routine behavior, self-care, and conversation normal), due to such symptoms as:

Depressed mood

Anxiety

Suspiciousness

Panic Attacks

Chronic Sleep impairment

Mild memory loss

I have all of the above symptoms. I met with a local VSO and she suggested making an appointment with a psychiatrist at the VA clinic. I met with him on several occasions and based on our discussions he concluded that I had mild to moderate PTSD. My VSO then started a new claim on me for PTSD in Oct 2013. I have also been having regular visits with a social worker who has also diagnosed me with PTSD. I had my C & P exam with a different psychiatrist and he concurred with the notes from my regular psychiatrist and social worker.

Everything I have read online and in forums has led me to believe that I should at least get a rating of 30%. Today I received the decision of my claim and it does not make any sense at all. I have now been diagnosed with "An acquired mental health condition to include posttraumatic stress disorder and primary insomnia" rated at 10%. My overall rating has remained the same and now my original diagnosis of primary insomnia has now been lumped in with PTSD. This makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. What do I appeal now? My original rating of primary insomnia dated Oct 2012 or my now current rating dated Oct 2013. Once again the decision claims that in order to warrant a higher rating of 30% I have to exhibit all of the above symptoms.

I am meeting with my VSO on Friday to discuss options but I have absolutely no faith in the system now.

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

It appears that they have as you say lumped your insomnia into you PTSD and trying to screw you because you don't have all of the above as you say.

Bottom line you DO NOT have to have all of the above you just need to show you have one or maybe two.

The compensation of disabilities are taking hits just like the retirees are on budget cuts! If you meet with your VSO they may consider you feel a reconsideration which is the quickest and you can point out to them in your letter why you feel you should be rated 50% (always ask for higher %) Also have your vet counselor write a letter on how you suffer.

Stillhere

On the MyHeatheVet question, it took Durham about two days a few years ago to get me fully authenticated and able to get access to all the info available on line.

It sounds, though, like you need your C-file from the RO to see what they hold and what was stated by the doctors. You may be able to get your C&P results through MyHeatheVet. Another option is to request your medical records from the VAMC who did your C&Ps.

Not qualified to talk to PTSD claims, but concur with StillHere on the approach. Don't give up! Can say that it's best to bounce the VSO's recommendations off the hadit community prior to pursuing them.

On the MyHeatheVet question, it took Durham about two days a few years ago to get me fully authenticated and able to get access to all the info available on line.

It sounds, though, like you need your C-file from the RO to see what they hold and what was stated by the doctors. You may be able to get your C&P results through MyHeatheVet. Another option is to request your medical records from the VAMC who did your C&Ps.

Not qualified to talk to PTSD claims, but concur with StillHere on the approach. Don't give up! Can say that it's best to bounce the VSO's recommendations off the hadit community prior to pursuing them.

If you c&P's were done by the local VA then you should be able to obtain them from the release of information office. Be nice to these people at the ROI office, they will become your best ally in seeing how the local docs there are documenting your conditions and illnesses. If they ever get smart with you about records cite the FOIA on them, records are your property and you can view and ask for them at any time.

Here lately I can say if you have the time document everything that goes on on eVet with regards to your health. Getting private records into your file is a pain but it can be done. This documentation becomes part of record and the more evidence you have of documenting your conditions the easier it will be to shoot down their bogus decisions and lies.

I had to prove a stressor and prove combat to get PTSD service conected. They also wanted a Service award, purple heart or other medals to proove it. In addition the stressor had to be very profound and life threating. Then I had to explain how it has affected me since leaving the Military.

It sounds like that is why no PTSD was awarded?

I am meeting with my VSO on Friday to discuss options but I have absolutely no faith in the system now.

How'd your meeting with your VSO go? Hopefully they provided you with the support you need to get this fixed.

In re-reading your post, it seems like you need to appeal the rating by filing a Notice of Disagreement. If your VSO is like mine, they probably suggested filing a claim requesting reconsideration or with new and material evidence stating that you'll get an answer faster than the years it takes to make it through the appeals process. Again, I don't know much of anything about PTSD claim processing, but I am going through the general "it's not right" process myself after firing my VSO and submitting an appeal. The request for reconsideration claim came back lower overall than it should have and the dates didn't go back far enough...so there's more work to do and another NOD to submit.

From your first post, it seems like you have some amount of time to get a NOD in - there's a year from the date of their decision to the date your NOD must be submitted - but common wisdom seems to be that sooner is better.

Yes, the system is broken or at least badly bent. Getting to the right rating precentage is often a multi-step process for all of us...which is why most of us are on this site in the first place! Hang in there with it and don't give up!