Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd And Meds

Rate this question

whoami?

Question

Hello everyone, hopefully this post will make sense I have a tendency to go off topic and ramble. After speaking to a fellow vet and reading some stories here I have been assigned a Team to help me cope with my issues. I have a social worker, primary care provider, and a psych. I also see a counselor at the vet center. When I first came here a few weeks ago I had none of these. So I think people are trying to help me but I am always suspicious. So today the social worker called me and said that the psych had an opening and could see me. He gave me some meds I was wondering if you guys have any experiences with.

Prazosin 5MG

Trazodone 100MG

Sertraline 50 MG

Propantheline Bromide 15MG

Please let me know what you guys think. How should I proceed? I don't want to be a zombie or become worse than I currently am.

Sounds like CBT program. If it is you will have 12 weeks of homework. Each week will be more thorough in finding the right tools to help you.

Yes it is the 12 week CBT program. My concern is although its early I am still experiencing all the symptoms that I had before I took the medications. In some cases its worse. After I talk to her I feel worthless and very depressed.

I did not personally do well with that type of therapy.

My very best help has come from my PsyD at my local Vet Center.

Are you still going to your Vet Center ?

Yes maam I am still going to the Vet Center. I have an appointment with him every two weeks.

Yes it is the 12 week CBT program. My concern is although its early I am still experiencing all the symptoms that I had before I took the medications. In some cases its worse. After I talk to her I feel worthless and very depressed.

Just an FYI and my opinion, which is generally worth less than 20 bucks.

Therapy and treatment for the majority of mental health issues does not necessarily

make the issues go away, disappear or provide a cure.

Therapy and treatment CAN help us learn the why's and how's of certain ways we may

react to something, that is stressful to us.

This can help us and our loved ones understand us a bit more and help enable us to learn to react differently,

in stressful situations.

IMO - good therapy and treatment helps us see that - no - we are not crazy, and yes, we can still have

a beneficial life. It kind of teaches us about our injury, disease, and how to positively apply therapy and treatment

into our daily lives. It can help you, help yourself, to get through your days better as time goes on.

Therapy and treatment - IMO, is for our lifetime, with perhaps some breaks from it, in between.

We will all still have our ups and downs.

jmho

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.

Just an FYI and my opinion, which is generally worth less than 20 bucks.

Therapy and treatment for the majority of mental health issues does not necessarily

make the issues go away, disappear or provide a cure.

Therapy and treatment CAN help us learn the why's and how's of certain ways we may

react to something, that is stressful to us.

This can help us and our loved ones understand us a bit more and help enable us to learn to react differently,

in stressful situations.

IMO - good therapy and treatment helps us see that - no - we are not crazy, and yes, we can still have

a beneficial life. It kind of teaches us about our injury, disease, and how to positively apply therapy and treatment

into our daily lives. It can help you, help yourself, to get through your days better as time goes on.

Therapy and treatment - IMO, is for our lifetime, with perhaps some breaks from it, in between.

We will all still have our ups and downs.

jmho

Carlie,

What you just said is worth a lot more than $20. I now understand why I am going and talking to the myriad of people I see every week. It makes more sense to me because I was wondering what was the point of me rehashing all these painful memories just to re-traumatize myself. Thanks for your input it is graciously taken.

Status update dx'd prazosin and trazadone because I ended up in the emergency room with a 12 hour priapism. Dr. added mirtazapine instead. I think its working but now my tongue feels like its been stung by some bees on stabbed with a fork a bunch of times. Also I have severe dry mouth from the medications combined. Not sure which one really.