Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Secondary Condition?

Rate this question

garlicBreath

Question

Hi, I'm sc at60%. Have backinjury . And depression. I have always complained that the back pain radiates down my left leg. I never thought to claim my leg as part of my condition. As time moves forward, it gets worse. Should I claim the leg as secondary? Thanks for any help you can offer.

CK

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

can i ask a related question? i am 40 percent service connected for my thorolumber spine. i have well documented in my va medical record that i suffer from chronic bilateral radiculopathy. the diagnosis was made after several emg's. a few years ago, i filed a claim (that was coupled with depression) and i severed it. i never refiled because i received TDIU. just wondering if it was worth a reconsideration. thanks.

• HadIt.com Elder

If you could get an extra 60% then you could get housebound which is an extra $300 a month. I got TDIU and about five years later I got an extra 60% for DMII and secondary conditions. I got housebound using Bradley v Peake.

If you could get an extra 60% then you could get housebound which is an extra $300 a month. I got TDIU and about five years later I got an extra 60% for DMII and secondary conditions. I got housebound using Bradley v Peake.

yeah, that would be great. but i suspect the best i could get is 20 percent for each leg. and realistically, only 10 percent per leg. even if i added the chronic muscle spasms, i don't think i can get to 60. i am open to other opinions. thanks.

Well, I filed for increase in MH- it's already secondary at 30%. I also asked for leg secondary. I have very well established nexus for the leg to be secondary to DDD/sciatica. My back is primary at 40%-ROM. Finally, I also applied for IU.

Do I need to submit information they already have: SMR, VAMR, past evals? My main change has been my social functionality. The flip outs came around 2008/9, I threatened co-workers, customers, anyone. I can't go to the store with my wife without flipping out on her or other people. I also flipped out on two professors during my voc rehab time at CSUFresno. Since my back and depression worsened around 2009, I have had three jobs. One was ending as my conditions worsened. I was laid off when FMLA expired in 2009. I worked again in 2012, it lasted six months, I quit because I couldn't handle the pain, stress, and constantly made mistakes because of my lack of focus. I am constantly distracted by pain. I'm extremely irritable, and get very little sleep. I had another job in July 2013, quit in feb for the same reasons as before. I was sure if I got retrained to do sedentary work, with little personal interaction, I would be ok. WRONG!

Anyways, I'll keep you posted.

I have the same problem with my legs. They wont rate it even tho I have Dr reports with it in there. I am working on getting them rated too. I have the numbness and the pains and occasionally my leg buckles at the knee. Left knee has some numbness and my leg feels weird and uncomfortable when it is touched. My Dr has said it is permanent at this point. Been that way for over 10 years now. They seem to think it doesnt matter and I should just be less active. I miss running and being able to be physical. They wont rate my shins either. I have tried to work thru it. The first several years I was in service I had to run all the time. Once 9/11 hit we didnt workout anymore and I gained some weight and then after a year or so we had to run again. That is when my shins just hurt so bad. I thought guys were just trying to get out of running until I experienced them. They hurt so bad and I havent ran ever since. Tried PT and just never got there again. I dont know how to get rid of them. I would be a whole different person if I could.

Well, I filed for increase in MH- it's already secondary at 30%. I also asked for leg secondary. I have very well established nexus for the leg to be secondary to DDD/sciatica. My back is primary at 40%-ROM. Finally, I also applied for IU.

Do I need to submit information they already have: SMR, VAMR, past evals? My main change has been my social functionality. The flip outs came around 2008/9, I threatened co-workers, customers, anyone. I can't go to the store with my wife without flipping out on her or other people. I also flipped out on two professors during my voc rehab time at CSUFresno. Since my back and depression worsened around 2009, I have had three jobs. One was ending as my conditions worsened. I was laid off when FMLA expired in 2009. I worked again in 2012, it lasted six months, I quit because I couldn't handle the pain, stress, and constantly made mistakes because of my lack of focus. I am constantly distracted by pain. I'm extremely irritable, and get very little sleep. I had another job in July 2013, quit in feb for the same reasons as before. I was sure if I got retrained to do sedentary work, with little personal interaction, I would be ok. WRONG!

Anyways, I'll keep you posted.

i got my iu approved at 60 percent with 40 for my back and 30 for my depression. this was due in part to the shrink who did my depression c&p stating i couldn't even work a sedentary job. the ortho doc who did one of my iu c&p's also stated i couldn't work.