VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Are Imo Tax Deductible As Medical Expense?

Rate this question

LSGi

Question

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

I think they would be if you itemize your taxes. I know it went up from 7% of your income to 10% I think before you can get a deduction. Do you know if medical insurance premiums are deductible? Now days you almost have to have a big mortgage to itemize.

If you are 65 or older you can still deduct the medical expenses you paid that exceeded 7.5% of your adjusted gross income. If you are less than 65 you can only deduct the expenses you paid that exceeded 10% of your adjusted gross income. Medical insurance premiums are considered a deductible medical expense in certain situations. Check online with the IRS to determine if your situation permits you to deduct the premiums. I am not sure if IMOs would be deductible or not since this is a report and not a hands on medical exam. I would think an IME would be deductible but you need to check with a tax professional to find out about the IMO and IME.

Georgiapapa...

I think they would be if you itemize your taxes. I know it went up from 7% of your income to 10% I think before you can get a deduction. Do you know if medical insurance premiums are deductible? Now days you almost have to have a big mortgage to itemize.

i don't know the answer to that. i was just something that crossed my brain. i don't make enough or have such mortgage whereby many deductions are on my radar. the tax preparer at a national chain the other day mentioned medical expenses to me. i mentioned i go to VA and some civilian and he said co-pays, ER visits, hospital stays i could deduct. i never really thought about it. he keep a record for next year. when i got home the thought of IMOs that many of us have paid for (the only way to counter VA) popped up.

If you are 65 or older you can still deduct the medical expenses you paid that exceeded 7.5% of your adjusted gross income. If you are less than 65 you can only deduct the expenses you paid that exceeded 10% of your adjusted gross income. Medical insurance premiums are considered a deductible medical expense in certain situations. Check online with the IRS to determine if your situation permits you to deduct the premiums. I am not sure if IMOs would be deductible or not since this is a report and not a hands on medical exam. I would think an IME would be deductible but you need to check with a tax professional to find out about the IMO and IME.

Georgiapapa...

ok, thanks for the explanation. for my mind, i didn't think of a difference in IMO and IME. if thats an exam i've had those. i'll check the IRS site when my brain clears up a bit. i still ahve to have someone do my taxes even on only disablility income as i find the tax prep a bit much for my brain. i'll file this thread in my tax box for next years. thanks

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use