Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Diagnostic Codes

Rate this question

elcamino_77us

Question

I received my claim back from the VA a few months ago. However, the VA did not list in either of the documents the DC's they used in awarding my disabilities. They only listed the symptoms and awards. How do I go about finding out this information?

Thanks,

Billy

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

You would think listing the Diagnostic code they are rating you under would be required under VCAA, how is a veteran able to review their decision or know what particular evidence of disability (for rating purpose) they need to provide if they don't know the diagnostic code that VA is using (or proposing to use) to rate them?

well they dont want to shoot themselves in the foot, by giving out codes that dont match thier ratings. They know thier watering down the whiskey, and dont want to produce an invoice. Once they produce codes, that clearly dont match the ratings they know what the veteran or thier attorney is going to use them for. So they dont send them. Ive requested them formally several times from WACO ro. I got NADT.. (NOT A DAMNED THING). This is war people.

Edited by 63SIERRA

elcamino,

Just call the darned 1-800-827-1000.

Push the sequence asked for - sit and wait for someone to answer.

Simply state - my name is - my claim # is.

I received a Rating Decision dated XX/XX/XXXX.

I would like to know all Diagnostic Code numbers I have been either

granted service connection under OR denied under, as non service connected.

Have a pen and paper ready to write it all down.

Also, if it were me I would ask the effective date and evaluation percentage

provided for each condition.

This is one of the few things that can usually be accomplished at the 800 number

with good accuracy.

jmho

Thanks Again Carlie!!! The Lady I talked with was extremely nice and both faxed the info and mailed me a hard copy.

My main concern was to see what they coded my knees at. My Right Knee was rated 10% under 5261-5260 along with a 0% under 7805 for a scar due to a partial medial and lateral meniscectomy. My Left Knee was rated at 10% under 5010-5260 for medial meniscus tear; Chondromalacia; arthritic changes (previously rated as left knee condition under DX code 5299-5257)

Looks like I need to find out when the Left knee was rated under DX code 5299-5257 and when that rating was recoded to 5261-5260. The VA has refused to SC my Left Knee for years until my recent surgery showed that my cartilage had scar tissue from where it had been damaged.

So far from my research, I should have received a separate 10% rating on each knee for the meniscectomy along with another 10% for arthritis and loss of ROM. I also wear knee braces and my knees have a tendency to pop in and out of joint along with staying dislocated at times. Which is another separate rating of 10%. However, from what I can tell, my local clinic has been pretty good at being vague about my knees popping in and out or staying dislocated.

One last thing, the information I have been reading states that if you have arthritis in two or more joints, it can be rated at 20%. How does this work as I have arthritis in both of my knees and my spine as well?

Thanks for all of the info and help.

Billy