Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Medicare Supplement -Missed Guaranteed Acceptance Period

Rate this question

JAB

Question

I'm 100% disabled with full VA benefits and have been SSA disabled for almost 20 years. When I turned 65 last fall, wasn't notified about this 6 month guaranteed acceptance period. I suppose It's possible that I received a notice that I overlooked due to the massive amount of medical junk mail I received before and after turning 65.

I want to purchase a medicare supplement plan, but was told that I'd have to qualify through the ins. underwriters, which I did by completing an application. Then I was informed that I would also have to pay a higher rate since I missed the 6 month period by 5 weeks. The added premium for plan F is over $1200 a year which would be a hardship for me.

I think they failed to notify me of this time limit because the 6 mo period starts when you turn 65 AND get medicare part B. Since I've had B for so long I might have been overlooked and wasn't notified, but I can't prove it.

I should have studied this before hand and understood this gotcha rule, but my medication and mental condition surely played a role in my failure to understand this.

I suppose I could appeal this situation to medicare but after talking to them, they basically told me that rules are rules and there's nothing that can be done. This just seems like a very stiff penalty for barely missing

Is there any hope that the VA could help me get this penalty waived. I could probably get a VA doctor's letter stating that due to my condition, I am unable to keep my affairs in order and an error like this could be associated with my disability.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

I'd reapply. Sounds wrong to me. I just added a medicare supplement at 67yo. They check to see if you had insurance at the time and the VA is considered that you had insurance. Mine costs me about 120 a month and I've had medicare since '92 and VA since '89. Appeal thru medicare. Never believe anything they say, as they can't be held responsible for errors. Always get it in writing. As a friend once stated, "If it can't be read, it wasn't said."

pr

"Is there any hope that the VA could help me get this penalty waived. I could probably get a VA doctor's letter stating that due to my condition, I am unable to keep my affairs in order and an error like this could be associated with my disability."

I dont think that is a good idea, because , if you say to VA you cant keep your affairs in order, the VA might deem you as incompetent and get someone else to handle your comp.

I sure dont think you are incompetent at all.. We all have trouble keeping our affairs in order....

Is there perhaps a Pro Action or Senior Citizen resource in your county? Like an Office of the Aging?

I live near my county seat here in NY and am amazed at how much help a friend got recently from many programs in the county seat city, Not welfare at all, but that are geared to helping seniors get through stuff like this.

Also I thought Medicare had an open season program, giving seniors another chance to enroll into additional benefits.

And I sure an certain that Philip is right...there must be a way to appeal this.

Thanks for the replies. I didn't specify that I wanted to purchase a medigap plan, which only has a 6 month period when applicants are guaranteed acceptance, and that is what I missed.

PR, the supplement you purchased must have been Medicare Advantage (part C). I think I could get that during the enrollment period, starting Oct. 15th, but that puts you in a HMO or PPO where you can't choose your doctor. I'm going to need some ortho surgeries and I have a friend who has medigap Plan F. He just had a hip replaced, with complications due to his other health problems. He chose the best Dr he could find, and the total bill, including an extended hospital stay was about $120,000. Medicare part A and B paid about 1/2 of the bill, Plan F paid the balance and my friend paid zero.

This is what I tried to get, but was denied. I've spoken with several entities, including state and Fed, with no luck. I hear you loud and clear about appealing thru medicare, and how paperwork is the only thing that counts. I won't forget this good advice.