Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Question About Eating Disorder Sc

Rate this question

Guest crazy

Question

My SVO has informed me that the VA frowns on Non-purging Bulimia or compulsive overeating as a SC condition, secondary or otherwise without EXTREME evidence. I feel as though my Psychiactric Practitioners opinion should support such a claim as she has diagnosed this condition related (secondary) to my depression. Is there anyone out there that has had any experience with this situation. I would greatly appreciate input.

semper fi

Edited by crazy

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• In Memoriam

Crzy --

If your depression is service connected, and your psychiatrist (I assume VA) will put into writing thzat your eating disorrrder is secondary, I don't see why ypu are having problems on this claim.

Alex

havent had problems with the claim. I have yet to make it.....I just keep getting negative feedback on its possible sucess. I personally think it should fly but stranger things have happend. I currently have 70 percent service conecting with a claim for 100 or IU which should be coming back with in the next 30-60 days. thanks for your input though.

Marine- did the VA give you their C & P that covers eating disorders?

If I post the C & P link- I might vanish-

The diagnostic codes are 9520 and 9521 for anorexia and bulimia.

Marine- did the VA give you their C & P that covers eating disorders?

If I post the C & P link- I might vanish-

The diagnostic codes are 9520 and 9521 for anorexia and bulimia.

i did find the c&p diagnostic codes but they dont quite cover my situation. they both describe purging as part of their criteria and that is not involved with my particular case. the DSM does however recognize my situation and from what i understand as long as it is listed in the DSM and recognized it is ratable....is that true? I would hate to have to go through all the trouble of getting this thing off the ground in order to be disapointed with the process.

Guest Jim S.

As long as you make your Dr. aware, and he quotes the DSMIV for your perticular Eating Disorder and that your application for B&C specifies your type of Eating disorder as dischribed in the DSMIV. Then even if it is not in the rating schedule, it is with in the bounderies of a Eating disorder.

Of course it must be SC or the result of a SC problem and that must be documented as well.

I really do appreciate finally getting some encouraging feedback on this issue. My shrink says that there is definatly a coralation between my depression, GAD and the eating disorder.......she has definatly enlightened me on questions that have gone unanswered for many years. I am going to let my current claim run and when it comes back I will certainly be moving forward thanks to the words of encouragment presented here.

again....thanks to all that took the time to reply

semper fi