VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sleep Disturbance Vs. Sleep Apnea Claim.

Rate this question

BlastDaddy

Question

I am trying to decide how to file a claim and need assistance. I have not had a sleep study because I have not wanted to be given a diagnosis. I have read on different forums that since my sleeping problems was not documented while in service except on my out processing physical then I should file my difficulty sleeping as a presumptive illness caused by or due to service in the gulf war.

The VA has been giving me sleeping pills since 2003 and has records of my complaints of not being able to stay asleep more than a couple hours at a time. Then waking just as tired.

First, should I accept one of the appointments they have scheduled me for to check me for sleep apnea?

Second, if I am diagnosed with sleep apnea would that hurt my claim under sleep disturbance.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I haven't a clue on this one.

2 answers to this question

Personally I would say that if you even think there is a remote chance you have Sleep Apnea go get the sleep study done. Is your filing the only reason you do not want the diagnosis? Getting the study done and diagnosed was a good thing for me. The CPAP is small, quiet and allows me to sleep through the night and not wake up constantly and felling tired as you described what is happening to you. Sleep Apnea undiagnosed and untreated can lead to other health problems such as high blood pressure, stroke and heart failure just to name a few. If you get the study done, you win either way. You either get told you don't have apnea or you are told you do and you can take steps to treat it.

I am trying to decide how to file a claim and need assistance. I have not had a sleep study because I have not wanted to be given a diagnosis. I have read on different forums that since my sleeping problems was not documented while in service except on my out processing physical then I should file my difficulty sleeping as a presumptive illness caused by or due to service in the gulf war.

The VA has been giving me sleeping pills since 2003 and has records of my complaints of not being able to stay asleep more than a couple hours at a time. Then waking just as tired.

First, should I accept one of the appointments they have scheduled me for to check me for sleep apnea?

Second, if I am diagnosed with sleep apnea would that hurt my claim under sleep disturbance.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I haven't a clue on this one.

In my experience VA will most likely state that your sleep disturbance is not sleep apnea but most likely a part or symptom of depression. You will need a diagnosis of sleep apnea to go further. You will also need a medical opinion with a good rationale that relates sleep apnea to your already service connected fibromyalgia or service connected PTSD. Sleep apnea is not a presumptive illness of the gulf war.