Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rate this question

j92mike

Question

I first got seen at my local VA clinic in Athens GA last year when things were at their worst when I say worst I mean I was ready to wrap my van around a pole. I was diagnosed with type 2 Diabetes, about three years out of service. I had gestational diabetes with my second child born in 2011 when I was about a year out of service and was borderline with my first child in 2010 while I was still in the service. I wanted to know if it is a condition that can be claimed? Also my therapist says that I have PTSD and anxiety and mild depression. I did claim anxiety and depression but not PTSD.

Also, I have had an appeal going on since July 2012, it's still in phase 1 cause of a screw up by my lawyer I wanted to ask for advice if it's worth it to stick it out with the appeal or start a new fully developed claim with new evidence and another C&P exam.

Also, when I left service in June 2010 I got a copy of my medical records but not my mental health records. I was being treated for three years. The VA doesn't have my mental health records either. Can someone tell me where I can obtain a copy of my records from? When I went to do my C&P my examiner told me all she had was that I was seen by mental health my last three months of service.

I understand my case can take longer cause I have multiple conditions that I put in for I am just in need of some advice.

Thanks in advance,

Natalie

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

It likely could be in the national archives. This site could be a good place to start. If they don't claim to have them, you might want to try and follow up with the facility that treated you. For example, when I was in they kept medical and dental records stored separately. The same may have applied for you, but with your MH records.

http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records

Good luck on this. I hope you are able to track them down.

"The VA doesn't have my mental health records either"

Natalie if you mean you get treatment for MH issues at VA, sometimes those records can get overlooked.

I had to go over to my dead husband's VA shrink, after he died, to get the extensive MH test results and other stuff the VA psyche had.

I showed the doc a decision I had just received (a denied accrued claim for PTSD) and there was no mention at all of these extensive tests and records nor the hypnosis sessions.

And I showed the doc his SSA award solely for PTSD which VA had ignored.

The doctor was stunned that VA was not acknowledging these probative records.

He not only gave me copies of them all, he also sent a letter to the VA.

They overturned the denial right away.

If your therapist is a VA therapist possibly they could give you copies of any MH treatment records.

Vync is right as to the inservice records.