Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Request For Va Claim Process Advice

Rate this question

Asiadaug

Question

I submitted a claim over a year ago Actually, January 2013. I live overseas. Some time after I submitted my claim, I noticed the ebenefits section and created an account. I think that was around Jul 2013. After I created the account I could log in, but could never see anything. Around February of 2014 I called to ask about why I could not see anything and why I kept getting an error message. To date they have not resolved that problem. I can log in but not view status.
Earlier this week I inquired again and they said they were working on it. They then passed me over to inquire as to claim status. I was told that the VA was in the development stage and that they had not received information from NPRC. The help desk clerk advised me that the VA had sent a letter to me in April. I explained that I had not received any letter. Then they asked where I was I told them, and they said that that was not where they sent the letter to. They would not tell me where they sent the letter, only that if was not sen to my address. The guy told me to file a Change of Address on a VA form. I filled it out and the next day faxed the Change of Address. Ok...so now I am in kind of a suspended animation state...will they know based upon that change of address to remain the letter? My guess is probably not.

I did some digging on the ebenefits site. I can not as I said get into claim status, but I can get to several other areas. Interestingly, in those areas, the address they had was the correct address. How many databases do they have? And they aren't tied together?

So my question is...how best to proceed? I have been told that a letter to my congressman will not achieve anything and could potentially only delay my claim processing even more.

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

You can go to http://www.va.gov/ and click on the "Contact Us" thingy on the upper right hand corner , then click on the "ask a Question" part.

This will take you to the IRIS inquiry system and you can ask them for the info you need , as to status , confirmed change of address etc....etc....

I always write my inquiry in a Word program first to be able to edit it, and make sure it is clearly stated, then paste it into the IRIS inquiry section.

"I was told that the VA was in the development stage and that they had not received information from NPRC."

They might not even have made a formal NPRC request.

I suggest you go to http://www.archives.gov/

Click on the veterans Records thing.

This will take you to a form called a SF 180. I suggest you request ALL medical records and Personnel records they have regarding your service.

You will need to print out the bar coded thing, sign it, copy it, and send it with Proof of mailing to where the form directs you to. That is how they associate your request with your signature.

In my experience....unless this all has changed....I requested all of my hdeceased husband's military records. he served in the USMC and then a few years later he was in the Navy.

NPRC in a few weeks, sent me my deceased husband's Navy records.

They stated they had sent his USMC service records to the Buffalo VARO.

That is where I wanted his USMC records to be.

Do you have a service officer or vet rep?

Or does the State Department , in your overseas location, handle your claims issues?

Have you had a C & P yet?

Is this possibly a claim for Agent orange disability due to Thailand service?

"in those areas, the address they had was the correct address. How many databases do they have? And they aren't tied together?" The VA these days is snafued and fubared up the ying yangs.

If we know more about your claim, we can help more.

I am assuming you are with FMP (Foreign Medical Program VA) ???

Edited by Berta

In regards to eBenefits, you'll need to have a premium account to access all the information posted there. That may be why you cannot access your claim status information. I got authenticated for the MyHeatheVet during a visit to a VAMC which I could turn into premium access to eBenefits. There are several other paths.including through DFAS if you're retired from one of the DoD services. Being overseas, this might be a big hurtle...don't know.

In regards to the missing letter, if you know which RO holds your claim, you can either fax or mail them a letter requesting a copy of the missing one, pointing out your new address. I've had to do that. Another option is to commuicate via IRIS email and request a copy mailed to your current location, but they might want you to send something with a signature. In my case, I knew about the letter through an IRIS response, had the same address we've used since my first claim was submitted back in 2010, but it somehow didn't arrive. They still wanted me to send a formal request for a copy.

https://iris.custhelp.com/

Hope this helps.

Great reply's !

I believe there is a specific VARO that processes claim from vets living

outside of the USA, but I do not remember which one it is.

I surely could be wrong on this but maybe someone else knows more and

can chime in on this.

Foreign Medical Program VA ( FMP)

Lots of info here and we have had a few vets over the years using this program, like China Vet.

http://www.va.gov/hac/forbeneficiaries/fmp/brochure/FMPBrochure.pdf

http://www.va.gov/hac/forbeneficiaries/fmp/fmp.asp

http://www.va.gov/hac/forbeneficiaries/fmp/handbook/FMP-Handbook.pdf

I appreciate the comments.

Since I can not seem to get thru on ebenefits they transfer me to check on my claim status. It does say I have a Premium Account. I can get over to DEERS area and that information is there. And, when I get transferred to telephone to check on status...they have what they have. So, I guess they just have some computer systems and databases that just don't talk very well together....just an assumption on my part.

I requested my records from NPRC using SF 180 and had no problem getting those records. Took a couple of months, but I got them. In fact, when I did that and received the records I noticed problem with DD214 and requested correction to add medals. Guess what...no problem they fixed it.
I sent all those with my claim. I can gladly resend again.

FMP will only help for those service connected issues that I go to the doctor for. I pay and then FMP will reimburses.

When I talked to Pittsburgh I was told it can take up to 14 months to process my claim. I respond it's already been well over 14 months. That's when they say....Oh, that is average wait time.

But, not being able to see status online, and with time differences, I have to stay up and call. It gets costly calling them. Then, I am usually put on hold.

After posting my original post I came to the conclusion that I'll gut it out...wait for them to deny based upon what they should have but claim they don't.

I am beyond cynical at this point.

Thanks again for suggestions. I think based upon what you've suggested and what I've done, it is wait and see at this stage.

As a oh by the way...Berta et al...I did have Dr Bash do an IMO, and I think he did me ok. We'll see. He's a busy man, but try to find any physician that isn't busy!

Yes he is sure is busy but he even tries to take the time to do some of our hadit blog radio shows here.......

He will give a medical review of MED recs and the SMRs,if needed for the claim, far more completely than the VA ever will.

I didnt have an IMO for my FTCA /1151 cases. I did all the medical /legal work myself and it was a lot of work.

But for my AO DMII death claim, I knew VA would fight me aggressively and Dr Bash did 2 separate IMOs for that claim, which was awarded.

I know the claims process is frustrating and long.But we need to hang in there.

Dont forget to get a proof of mailing for anything you send to the VA, They lose ,destroy or misplace a lot of stuff.