VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Emergency Icd At Non Va Facility

Rate this topic

After spending hours on the phone getting nowhere, maybe this forum can help me. My husband suffered a heart attack last week Monday, was taken to the ER at our local non VA hospital. Admission is aware that he is a veteran. I also contacted VA myself to inform them about this heart attack.

Since then he has received 2 stent, has been moved out of ICU and is on the road to recovery. The cardiologist wants to implant an ICD before he leaves the hospital as a necessary precaution. Apparently the 1 hour drive to Tampa is too much of a risk. My husband is a Desert Storm Veteran in Group 5 due to his low income. Is this procedure covered by VA? He has no insurance from employment. The night nurse - also a veteran - said that since this procedure is part of the emergency, VA will pick up the cost.

Hopefully someone can give me an answer. We have tried calling numerous phone numbers in Tampa and Bradenton. No luck.

Thank you.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"I also contacted VA myself to inform them about this heart attack."

Is he service connected for heart disease? Did Fee Basis approve the non VA treatment?

"The night nurse - also a veteran - said that since this procedure is part of the emergency, VA will pick up the cost."

Was his regular VAMC too far to get to?

I did a radio show on Fee basis a few years ago.......

This is the regulation that I covered on the show. I dont think it has changed since then...

Does he fit into this criteria?

http://cfr.vlex.com/vid/17-52-hospital-care-medical-non-facilities-19775340

Was he being treated by the VA for heart disease?

Was he being treated by VA for other issues......... but not for heart disease?

• HadIt.com Elder

You contacted VA about his heart attack emergency. Did the VA get back to you? Usually, they want to transfer the vet to a VA hospital as soon as it is safe to do it. You need to talk to someone at the VA about this situation. I know you say you tried, but unless you want to get a bill from this hospital that the VA won't pay you need to get something from they to authorize continued treatment at this Non VA hospital. Do you have a congressman near you can talk to about this situation. With all the hubbub about wait times and poor care from the VA you should be able to get this covered by the VA. You just need to CYA because knowing Bill Haley VA they can be deaf, dumb and blind. I live in Tampa and I was denied Fee Base even though I am housebound and 100%. You cannot assume the VA is going to cover bills from Non VA providers. If he is out of ICU then I think the VA will want him at their hospital if it is safe to move him by ambulance.

John