VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Auto Grant, Need Input On Vehicles, Please?

Rate this question

TiredVeteran

Question

Hi,

We are just now using our auto grant. We need a 4 wheel drive for bad weather.

Right now, we have the lift in the back of our Toyota Sienna 2005.

Hit a roadblock. Seems the lift makers will only aprove a cargo type van (which I can't drive), a Nissan Quest which is not as reliable as what we have now, or some type huge ford vechcile.

Sorry, can't find spell check.

Has anyone bought a smal SUV type and had it equipped for a lift and wheelchair? with the grant. Jimmy can't sit in the wheelchair in the van, it causes spasms, so he is in the passenger seat now with all auto controls. He can't use a turney seat either, due to causing spasms.

Thank you in advance for any input!

Debbie

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Try www.braunability.com for some possibilities.

I suspect that your 4 wheel drive requirement can cause problems with the SUVs.

Hi Chuck!

Thank you! I meant all wheel drive or 4 wheel either one. What problems can that cause?

We are really needing just a regular type vehicle, hopefully a small SUV. Since I lift Jimmy into a comfortable seat to prevent spasms, it just needs the ability to put the wheelchair in the van.

They are saying false flooring is an issue, but that is what we have and what they approved and we paid for ourselves. Hope this makes sense. I can't speak mechanics.

Debbie

Edited by TiredVeteran

• HadIt.com Elder

All wheel drive usually involves a drive shaft going from front to back. As a result, the vehicle floor is not flat, or the

overall headroom is less. Toyota makes a Van/SUV version that is factory set up. But, based on the previous remarks, may not be what you want or need.

Edited by Chuck75

Hi Chuck!!!

Thank you, thank you. What we applied for was a vehicle that was all wheel drive or 4 wheel drive. Yes, that is difficult. I can't find the vehicle by toyota you are referencing. Do you by chance have a link to that?

We really can not afford to got into a lot of debt. Was hoping to find a vehicle to safely transport in bad weather, which was common last winter.

Again thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!