VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Help! Confused About Dic

Rate this question

goofycow

Question

Help! I have been trying to decide if I should apply for DIC. My hubby died a little over 2 weeks ago but never filed a claim with VA after retiring from the navy in 1984. At the time he was retired from the Navy with a medical condition of the back and given a service connected 20% rating fm the Navy. One of the factors causing his death on the death certificate was DMII. With the "blue water" ruling he might have had a claim due to exposure to AO. Going over his last DD214 I notice he was awarded 2 different Vietnam Serviuce metals, a vietnam campaign medal and a vietnam Gallantry Cross.

One thing that confuses me is that I downloaded the claim from 21-534 yesterday & after going over this, it looks like this is granted on financial need as it asks for all kind of information on bank accounts, sources of income, etc. I didn't spend my back pay from VA & SS, I hoarded it all in a savings account. Also, the form does not say if I should claim my monthly VA or not. I am afraid if I filed this claim and filled it out listing all my assets & income, I would come across as a greedy rich bitch :lol: (The greedy & bitch part may be true) Do I have a chance of winning a claim?

Liz

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

The 21-534 form is for Widow 's pension as well as DIC-

DIC is the better of the two benefits and you can have millions in the bank and still get DIC.

The pension however is for low income widows of wartime service vets.

Still the entire application must be filled out. Make sure you filled out the accrued part and the funeral expenses. If he had a claim in progress you will have to re-open that for accrued benefits. The vet rep you get will tell you how to fill this out.

Yes- based on your last post it appeared to me that your husband had an Agent Ornage presumptive condition contributing to his death and the new Blue Water Haas decision will help you considerably.

I posted this NVLSP statement on Blue Eater vets and Haas here at hadit-and also the email from their attorney-forget which attorney that I got to confirm that widow's of Blue Water veteran will be included in the new regs.

Copy this from hadit and take it with you when you get a POA and file the formal claim.

If I can find it I will post again.

GoofyCow,

Looks like Berta explained the financials.

If your husband served and his life was affected and probably shortened by an AO SC condition (DMII), and you no longer have a husband because of that. Then you should file for DIC. Don't worry about what other people think it is none of their business. It is not being greedy to file for benefits that you are entitled to.

Go for it.

Jangrin :lol:

Edited by jangrin